Problem with dual monitor setup

Reaction score
I was running XP got a virus, re formatted the drive and did a clean install of Win 7. Previously I used an Insignia 26" LCD as a monitor, never a problem.I have an Gateway EV700. When I loaded Win7 updated my drivers at Gateway and now I can not get a display on my LCD. It will show the computer loading, start the Windows flag and then lose the video. I connected it to a GAteway" and works fine. I tried to run 2 monitors but when I hook up the LCD via VGA( I have always ran it this way) I lose video on both screens. ( I had it hooked up to the Gateway to see what I was doing and lost that video also.)I unhook the VGA and I get the video back on the Gateway.I have been running Win 7 since last night with no problems other than this. Can someone offer a solution?
Thank you in advance for any and all help,

Reaction score
I am still in need of your help

I was running XP got a virus, re formatted the drive and did a clean install of Win 7. Previously I used an Insignia 26" LCD as a monitor, never a problem.I have an Gateway EV700. When I loaded Win7 updated my drivers at Gateway and now I can not get a display on my LCD. It will show the computer loading, start the Windows flag and then lose the video. I connected it to a GAteway" and works fine. I tried to run 2 monitors but when I hook up the LCD via VGA( I have always ran it this way) I lose video on both screens. ( I had it hooked up to the Gateway to see what I was doing and lost that video also.)I unhook the VGA and I get the video back on the Gateway.I have been running Win 7 since last night with no problems other than this. Can someone offer a solution?
Thank you in advance for any and all help,

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
What video card brand and model are you using?

Is it an on-board video card or a plug-in card?

Did you install the latest drivers for the video card?

Are you using a DVI connection or AGP connection for the monitor(s)?

Some more information would help.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Why is this thread titled "administrator" :dontknow:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Not Important, but the OP is new to the site, or sites in general, and probably wanted to address the thread to the Administrator??
Welcome to the site, Awadosm, I am sure Nibiru or others will sort the problem for you.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't fast enough for him and such in my response... ?

Oh bien, Tel est la vie !

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did you make any hardware changes to the system after you were infected. I'm wondering if your video card may be loose or your cable may be bad.

About a month ago I bought a flat screen monitor for my brother and I tested it here and all worked fine but when I hooked it up at his house it had a purpleish hue to everything, only difference was, at my house I had used my vga cable to test it, not the one that came with it. I barrowed the cable from my nieces monitor to verify and all was fine so I had the seller send a replacement.

Just saying you might check if something was knocked loose or cable was twisted and damaged.

BTW after I wrote all this I went ahead and looked for drivers - I cannot find Windows 7 drivers for a Gateway EV700 and there is no listing at the compatibility center for it being compatible (though this doesn't mean it isn't, it just means it's a crapshoot)

Reaction score
hi guys,
I know this is an old threat but i have the same problem here... ore kinda, i used to use a windows 2000 with geforce 6200 LE, and dual monitor. now i use windows 7 with another geforce 6200 LE, i tried to get a dual monitor but whenever i put in the geforce my onboard goes vid. goes of, the problem in that is that i then cannot use my VGA from my onboard to use it with the dual monitor (i could in my old computer).

the computer i use is a veriton x490g.

i already tried
turning the onboard on in the bios (i couldn't)
another monitor in both the vid. card and onboard
first taking out the vid. card, connecting 1 monitor to onboard turn of computer put back in vid. card and put second monitor on there.
bashing in my computer pulling my hair out of frustration and bang my head to the wall untill it bleeds :p

@ nibiru: ^_^ thanks for the link to this site ;)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have read articles saying if you had the right combination of similar chipsets on the MOBO and on the graphics card that it may have been possible BUT unfortunately, whenever you plug in a video card into most motherboards the onboard video is disabled. To run multiple monitors you should install a video card with multiple outputs or install dual cards.

Reaction score
my video card now has a DVI input (made it VGA) and a s-video, isn't there a way to turn the s-video in VGA. i think it's possible but i don't know how.

furthermore, the weard thing is that if i try to max. the size of my desktop my active screen goes blank. (so the computer says i do have 2 screens but only shows 1.)

sorry for my bad writing in english:hmmmm2:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your English is much better than my Dutch :)

If I do a search on convert "s-video" to vga I find a lot of converter boxes for sale, so I suppose it's possible.

the weard thing is that if i try to max. the size of my desktop my active screen goes blank.
I'm not sure exactly, I suppose it could also mean your monitor limits are not detected by the computer and allows the video card to go beyond your monitors limits.

Reaction score
:) yeah it should be i'm half english ^^ i speak it good but write it bad :p

i searched the web myself aswell, it's possible but with a weard system (and not cheap)
so that's not an option :(

yeah i think it is because the computer says i have 2 desktops but i actually have 1 (wich he says is my second desktop) but i'm not sure either (someone mentioned me that yesterday).

thanks for the help i'm afraid all i can do is a new graphic card with 2 vga/dvi slots :(

Reaction score
got a new graphic card and up and running. works great... did cost me 200 euro's but oke was worth it :)

thanks for the help guys

Ask a Question