Problem accessing the BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I am helping a friend upgrade to win 7 on his laptop HP EliteBook 6930. I can't access the BIOS to have it start from the CD/DVD drive. The problem is that the BIOS is password protected. He never set a password as he bought it from a retailer a couple of years ago.

HP support is useless as they suggested removing both batteries (the regular one and the CMOS one) but that did not work. I am at a loss. :dontknow:

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
HP EliteBook 6930p Notebook PC

Maintenance and Service Guide

Page 47
If the computer you are servicing has an unknown user password, follow these steps to clear the password:

NOTE: These steps also clear CMOS.
  1. Shut down the computer. If you are unsure whether the computer is off or in Hibernation, turn the computer on, and then shut it down through the operating system.
  2. Disconnect all external devices connected to the computer.
  3. Disconnect the power from the computer by first unplugging the power cord from the AC outlet and then unplugging the AC adapter from the computer.
  4. Remove the battery (see Battery on page 50).
  5. Remove the real-time clock (RTC) battery (see RTC battery on page 73).
  6. Wait approximately 5 minutes.
  7. Replace the RTC battery and reassemble the computer.
  8. Connect AC power to the computer. Do not reinsert any batteries at this time.
  9. Turn on the computer.
All passwords and all CMOS settings have been cleared.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do any of the following master passwords work?

http://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-passwords.htm

Also, do you know the type of BIOS used (Award, AMI, etc...?). Also, are you given a "System Hash Code" anywhere when you are prompted for the password?

FWIW, you may also be able to enter the boot menu by pressing F12 on boot. I know on some HP laptops that provides a manual selection boot menu :).

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Do you have the user manual for the notebook computer?

According to the manual the user can change or delete the password.

Here's a link: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01892653/c01892653.pdf

This is the page from the service guide on how to reset the password if unknown.

So according to the instructions, you HAVE TO LEAVE THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED FOR AT LEAST FIVE MINUTES before the BIOS and PASSWORD resets work.

Also it states no connect the main battery, just run on AC power.

Here's a link to the Service Guide Manual: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02514991/c02514991.pdf

I hope this helps you out now. Maybe the HP tech support guy didn't tell you to wait the 5 minute time period.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
LOL! Ian, Cliff and myself were all working on this at the same time, I just took longer! LOL!

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will try it again (disconnecting the batteries).
Meanwhile here are my options when I hit Esc when booting:

F1 - System Information
F2 - System Diagnostocs

F7 - HP SpareKey
F9 - Boot Device Options
F10 - BIOS Set Up

F12 - Network boot

When I choose the F9 - Boot device options, here is what I get
- Notebook Upgrade Bay
- Notebook Hard Drive
- Notebook Ethernet

I do not see the CD/DVD option, unless the Upgrade Bay is what it is :confused: ???

Thanks for all your help. I will let you know how I fare.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
According to the first PDF guide I posted above, the CD/DVD-ROM is first boot device enabled by default.

Have you tried putting in the Windows 7 Install DVD and rebooting? Upon reboot, a message should appear stating: Press any key to boot from CD/DVD drive Do that within 4-5 seconds and it should start the install process.

Reaction score
SOLUTION: This is what I did and worked like a dream. Contacted HP, told them the problem. They "escalated the case," took my info. The next day I was emailed a file called SMC.bin. It is formatted specifically for my machine, has to match the UUID. Copied file to FAT 32 formatted jump drive, booted it as per the email instructions, reset bios password.

I did this via chat on HP's website.

Screwing with the bios battery will not work on Elitebook...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question