Performance increase with NO 32 bit software loaded

Reaction score
I've just done a clean reload of Windows 7068 64 bit.

Loaded avisynth64, virtualdub64 & xvid64; nothing else (well ok, ac3acm64 so I know the audio is happening. :D)

This is all getting seriously good.
Or I have no idea what the devil I am on about. (This is where you get to point your finger and shake your head)

Windows XP Pro 32 bit - All updates.
Virtualdub - xvid recode using avisynth script (BicubicResize) = 90 fps (input is compressed with xvid32 codec)

Windows 7068 64 bit - All updates.
Virtualdub64 - xvid64 recode using avisynth64 script (BicubicResize) = 150 fps (same input file)

This is using full processing mode on the video for both.

Can this be right?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes. Media compression, data modeling, databasing and 3D modeling are uniquely suited for improvements when switching to a 64-bit computational space.

These tasks are nothing if not an impressive and constant stream of predictable equations: After all, what are q-pel or glomocomp but equations to improve psychovisual quality? Given that a 64-bit processor can crunch 8 bytes of floating point or integer data in the same time a 32-bit processor can crunch 4 bytes, it then comes as no surprise that a 64-bit CPU can be up to 100% faster in these tasks.

There's an even easier task that you can use to show the mathematical robustness of of x86-64 compared to x86: Open the Windows calculator and switch to scientific mode. Enter "10,000" for your number and press the n! button. Windows 32 computers will alert you that the process will take "a very long time to complete." Meanwhile, Windows 64 computers will produce the factorial in a relatively short amount of time. This is because the 64-bit processor's math and logic units are able to crunch this number at twice the speed of a 32-bit chip.

Cool, huh?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've done a bit more editing. The figures are not quite as impressive as I first thought. But still very, very good. (points the finger at himself, and shakes his head.)

I'll spend some time over Easter getting a better idea of the true speeds.

Happy Easter! :)

Ask a Question