PC takes longer to boot up.

Reaction score
Ok,this is not quite the end of the world, but I am curious.
Yesterday the boot up time was 91 seconds. Now its 211 seconds. I used the BootSpeed script to test the time.

The only thing different from yesterday is that I changed the size of the Virtual Memory from a min of 16 mb & max of 468 mb to min 9216 mb & max of 18K.

I have a 6GB DDR3 PC (with a Asus P6T x58 chipset motherboard and i7 2.93ghz intel with 320 GB hard drive - if this all helps).

So how can I get back to the 91 time to boot up?
I read somewheres that Win 7 has the ability to "learn" the users activity- so I am wondering that as I use the PC I will get back to 91, or close.

thanks.

Reaction score
The only thing different from yesterday is that I changed the size of the Virtual Memory from a min of 16 mb & max of 468 mb to min 9216 mb & max of 18K.
With 6GB memory, you should not need virtual memory at all for a normal home PC. You might should consider letting Windows Manage the Page File Size. After all I only have 2GB with Windows managed Page File.

Why may I ask are you manually setting the Page File size?
Was it something you read somewhere that would increase performance?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I wouldn't disable it entirely, but I would trim it down to, say, 2 GB or less, maybe 1 GB even. Some use as low as 32-64 MB. Mickeysoft recommends at least ~400 MB so that it can dump the kernel in it if it crashes, but with Win7 it's really down to what you prefer. I had it disabled entirely, and saw a slight performance decrease, even with 8GB of RAM. Maybe SuperFetch uses the swap, dunno for sure.

At any rate you should probably set it at a static value (like 1 GB being the same for min and max) or, if you do memory-exhaustive stuff, like video editing, leave it alone entirely and let the system figure it out. Win7 does a better job of managing it on its own than XP did, anyways.

Reaction score
I was using the old 1.5 times Ram method- wonder if that is more for XP and 32 bit PCs.
Mine is 64 bit - but probably guessed as I have 6GB of DDR3 RAM.

Any ways - did a Defrag and now down to a 83 sec boot up time - so even better.

I'll try the 1 GB for Min & for Max or may be even let the System Manage for me- but then other than boot up time, I will I know which is best?

Thx

Reaction score
I was using the old 1.5 times Ram method- wonder if that is more for XP and 32 bit PCs.
Mine is 64 bit - but probably guessed as I have 6GB of DDR3 RAM.

Any ways - did a Defrag and now down to a 83 sec boot up time - so even better.

I'll try the 1 GB for Min & for Max or may be even let the System Manage for me- but then other than boot up time, I will I know which is best?

Thx

Oh - and what about checking off the box for "No GUI Boot" (via Msconfig/ Boot tab) ?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Perhaps the first thing the OP should do is, as Cifford has suggested. Go back to allowing Windows 7 to control the pagefile?? If the speed of bootup then returns to the original, problem solved??

OP??

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Another thing to check is processes starting in the background. I know you said you only switched your Virtual Memory but maybe a 'stealth update' may have added a startup program that you'd rather not have starting.

Reaction score
thanks guys-
I did another boot time test and its now down to 89 seconds.
this before changing to "System Managed Size."
After a few reboot tests, still getting 89 seconds.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi sethm1

Changing the Page File in XP some calmed improved performance and some said it made no difference, I would let Windows handle it mate its not worth fafing about with :)

Ask a Question