Takes Two Tries to put Computer to Sleep

Reaction score
I have a problem to get my computer into Sleep mode and stay in it. I select Sleep and hit Return or click on Ok and the monitor immediately blanks and the computer around maybe 1 minute and 1/2 later (an Adaptec RAID controller causes a delay) starts to go into Sleep mode just briefly, it sounds like maybe lasting about 1/2 second since the hard drives start to spin down but then start to spin up again. The monitor screen will unblank then and after the RAID controller boots, then I can use the computer. If I then go through the process of putting the computer into Sleep mode again, it will always shut down ok about 1 and 1/2 minutes later.

The delay to go to sleep caused by the RAID controller is not the issue, although I would like it to be shorter, it's just that I shouldn't have to try to go through the process of putting the computer to Sleep twice to get it to "stick."

I have another computer with the same motherboard, an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX and the same BIOS version. The only significant differences is that it has a different power supply of the same manufacturer (PC Power & Cooling) and a different Adaptec RAID card.

The computer I'm having the problem with shuts down normally. I would appreciate some assistance with this problem.

Thanks.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
It could be quite a few reasons for this... a running software program, or a connected USB device. If you can't find any of those you might try disabling the "wake on keyboard/mouse" option and seeing if that fixes it. Details at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972664

Ask a Question