SOLVED PC rebooting when waking from sleep

Reaction score
LONG time reader, first time poster.

A few weeks ago my PC stopped waking properly from sleeping. Instead it reboots. I believe it goes to sleep properly, when when I tape the keyboard to wake it instead it reboots. I do not have my PC set to power on by keyboard. Additionally, I receive the Windows Did Not Shut Down Properly message when I try to wake it.

I need some help and suggestions on how to troubleshoot this.

I needed this fixed in a hurry recently and after a few days of being unable to resolve it I decided to just wipe and reinstall (most of my data is on alternate drives so this is not a painful process). I still had the problem. During the reinstall I installed the latest drivers for my video card, and the latest on my motherboard manufacturer's website. There may be more current ones at the device manufacturer's sites.

I am running
W7 64bit
4GB ram
Asus Rampage Formula Motherboard, using on board sound
AMD Radeon 3870 HD for video

I've disconnected all USB hardware except for the mouse and keyboard.
Hibernate and Hybrid are set to off.

I'm thinking there's either a hardware issue somewhere, or some MS update is screwing with me.

Edit: My original post referred to the mouse when I meant keyboard, and I added the notation about Windows Did Not Shut Down.

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I hope we can help solve your problem.

Things to try:

1/ Run chkdsk /r from a command prompt. It will want to run the next time the computer reboots. So reboot the computer to let it check you hard drive.

2/ Test your RAM: Memtest86+ Memory Testing

EDIT: Also is there anything in the C:\Windows\Minidump directory?

Let us know how you go.

Hope this helps.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You said it is NOT set so a mouse can even wake your computer? So in control panel>device manager when you look up the mouse properties, power management tab, "allow this device to wake the computer" is NOT checked? What happens if you DO check it?

While you are in device manager, also pull up your network card (or wireless card if you use wi-fi) and check those properties. Under power management is it checked to "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", if so try un-checking that. Usually this second power management issue is only for people who wake and no longer have internet but it won't hurt to try.

Reaction score
You said it is NOT set so a mouse can even wake your computer? So in control panel>device manager when you look up the mouse properties, power management tab, "allow this device to wake the computer" is NOT checked? What happens if you DO check it?

While you are in device manager, also pull up your network card (or wireless card if you use wi-fi) and check those properties. Under power management is it checked to "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", if so try un-checking that. Usually this second power management issue is only for people who wake and no longer have internet but it won't hurt to try.
Sorry... I was rushed when making my original post and made some clerical errors. I said Mouse when I meant Keyboard and said Wake when I meant Power On. I'll modify the original post. I will also add that I get the Windows Did Not Shut Down Properly message.

I tried when un-checking thing before I did the clean install. I will try it again.

So far - chkdsk had no errors. And I ran two passes with MemTest and it had no errors. I will start it again when I go to bed to get as many passes as I can.

There was no Minidump directory either before or after I reinstalled. I created the directory in case its not something that gets created automatically.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you reinstalled, did you check to see if there was a BIOS update? ACPI is in the BIOS and could definitely be related to sleep issues.

And make sure memory dumps are enabled. See tutorial.

Reaction score
- MemTest : 11 complete passes, no errors
- ChkDsk : No errors
- Set network card to be allowed to shut down to save power - no difference (however I need this enabled as I need to wake my PC remotely fairly often)
- Enabled Minidumps, but nothing was written there when I just had to wake/reboot. Will keep checking.
- ACPI was not enabled in BIOS (i updated when i reinstalled and forgot to check this) and it's enabled now. Still having issues. My Devices showing "ACPI x64 based PC" so I assume this is working correctly.

I had zero wake issues until June 20th, I believe. It hasn't worked once since then.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Sometimes the network drivers have problems with hibernation, so maybe try a updating them.

Apart from I cannot think of anything else. Sorry.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
See if you have a system restore point prior to June 20th and restore.

Reaction score
Hibernation is disabled*, I'm just using sleep mode.

I did try restoring but that didn't work. I reformatted the drive and reinstalled Windows and still had the problem afterwards.

I'm wondering if there is some problem with a piece of hardware somewhere. For example, something shorted on the video card but it still works. Are you guys aware of any diagnostic tools for checking that the hardware is fully functioning? As I noted earlier, I'm thinking either some hardware stopped working or there was a Windows Update that broke something. I really should have ran some tests before installing all of the updates.

*I've never had any luck with hibernation. It always takes forever to shut down then recover. Do you guys have this problem?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well if you have updates set where recommended updates are treated the same as critical updates then you may have gotten a driver update. Normal updates shouldn't be an issue but drivers can do crazy things. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and click View Installed Updates. Sort by Installed Date and Scroll down to Microsoft Windows. See what's new and if it's a driver or something you aren't sure about - uninstall it.

(I never hibernate because on my machine it never wakes - i have to reboot. I have an older machine so the ACPI didn't exist in BIOS and now even after BIOS update it doesn't work as it should)

Reaction score
Hey - just a quick note to mention that the problem has been resolved. The power supply failed on me the other day.

I disconnected the PSU to go inside the PC and check for any hardware issues (not seated properly, etc) and the thing wouldn't power on. I replaced the PSU and am no longer having issues getting it to sleep.

Thanks to everyone who offered help. I appreciate it.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Thanks for updating us. I am glad that your problem is solved now.

Could you please mark the thread as Solved.

Thank you.

Ask a Question