SOLVED Partitions - merge two non adjacent ones

Reaction score
Partitions.jpg
I run windows 7 pro fully up top date.
This operating system is on a 1TB + internal drive.

It has 4 partitions.
Partition #1 a 101Mb NTFS Primary partition labelled "Z" and is unused.
Partition #2 a 100 Mb EFI partition (which I presume is associated with recovery)
Partition #3 an 824.64 Mb GB NTFS partition containing the Win y operating system labelled "C"
Partition #4 a 572.3 MB GB NTFS partition containing data, labelled "D".
The numbers 1-4 indicate the relative positions on the partitions on the drive.
Please see attached screen shot.
I would like to recover the unused space in Partition #1 back to either Partition #3 or #4.
I have tried to do this using Win 7's inbuilt Disk Management and EaseUS Partitionmaster,
but without success.
The problem seems to be that Partition #1 is NOT adjacent to either "C" or "D".
Although EaseUS is claimed to be able to recover a non-adjacent situation I can't make it do so.

Help please
donwb

Reaction score
Thank you Clifford_cooley for your reply, however, the online manual for Mini Tool Partition Wizard, under "Merge Partition" states
"Merge Partition function helps users merge two adjacent partitions"
I had already tried with this software, but it seems it can't handle my particular non-adjacent problem.

Any other member suggestions would be very welcome as I seem to have hit a brick wall.

donwb

Reaction score
  1. Delete the first partition
  2. Move the second partition to where the first one was located
  3. Then stretch the third partition to use the unallocated space
What you are technically asking for can not be done. The partitions have to be next to each other in order to merge them.

Reaction score
I used Mini Tool and for some reason, was able to merge the 2 non adjacent partitions
one was "C" with the windows 7 operating system on it and the other an unallocated partition on the same drive.
The 2 were separated by an FAT 32 EFI partition containing recovery information (I think).
My earlier attempts to do this with Mini Tool were unsuccessful. Why I succeeded this time I have no idea.
However, the message is that it DOES SEEM possible to merge the 2 non adjacent partitions.
donwb

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
NOTE: You are talking about a tiny little 101mb partition, it isn't even worth bothering with

Reaction score
Have u merge the two partition sucessfully? Delete Z: Move all the other partitions by Easeus partition master to the left so the free space is to the right of D: Expand D: to encompass the free space.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I've never had a move loose data but it is a risk so Easeus recommends that you back everything up to another drive before a partition move.

Even if you don't back up the drive it can take quite some time for the move, possibly several hours.

You would be better off to simply deallocate the 101mb partition and leave it sit there.

Ask a Question