SOLVED Pagefile size question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
What's a good pagefile size if you have 8 or 16 gbs. of ram ? 2 WD Cavair Black 1.0 tb. hard drives (1. OS,Programs, Program, Data. Admin & Public Users, 2.Contacts, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Saved Games, Searches & Videos).

Reaction score
My pagefile is set to 1GB with 4GB memory.
Works great seeing how I rarely see over 2GB used.

If I only had 2GB memory, I would have the pagefile set at 2GB.

Since I never use over 2GB, I couldn't possibly advise on such a high amount of memory

Reaction score
Since my HD is a 1.5 TB drive I just Let W7 manage my page file and I have 12 Gig of 1600 MHz Triple channel memory

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Does one have to set the page file size in Windows? I know that we can, but do we have to?

When running a Linux OS, one does this, only it's called the "swap file", a partition created at the end of the scale, equal to the installed RAM (up to 4GB). If the installed RAM is over 4GB, then more than that amount is not needed. This is done during the partitioning phase of the install.

From my understanding, this space is used when the user actually runs out of physical RAM to use. Whether I've used it or not, I don't know.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You are correct Cat. In most cases, (particularly referring to the OP) with a fair helping of ram, you will not notice a difference, even if you disable the pagefile completely. With 16 gbs, there would certainly be no need to work the hard disk.
My favorite Laptop in my home has 4Gbs. Since Vista, I have always had the pagefile disabled. A short while ago, to answer a members question, I reenabled it for about a week. I could not discern any difference in my speed of operation.

However, having spouted all that, Microsoft themselves state the page file should, ideally, be 1.5 times the ram that you have. I have read random reports of computers crashing if you disable it completely, but I have not experienced that.

Many programs which request memory ask for more than they will need. WMP and other media streaming programs are notorious for this. The requested memory is often not used.
The problem then arises,if you have no pagefile,that this requested memory has to be fully allocated in RAM. So if your media program does suddenly need more RAM allocated to it.then your available ram is reduced to an unworkable limit. If, for example, you are playing a game and need to refer to another feature/program, then the demand on your computer may cause it to lock up or even BSOD,
I am not much into media at all, hence my (so far!!) success.

Reaction score
There is no real reason to set the size in W7 as the file is a dynamic it will grow in size if needed. If you are short of disc space and have lots of memory then maybe you would not need a page file (swap). Like I said I have a 1.5 TB for my C Drive and only use 65 to 80 gig of the drive so I just let windows manage the Page file (swap) system

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have 6GB of RAM and use a 2GB Page File size. As Cliff stated, it is rarely used to that extent.

Letting Windows 7 manage your Page File size is a waste of space really. Having 12GB of RAM is a waste of RAM and money too since no one ever needs that much RAM unless your running a server or do extremely heavy Photoshop use or AutoCad.

Set your Page File size from 1 to 2 GB in size and forget about it. Besides, you'll never use the entire amount, if ever.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I was basically just checking if the 1 1/2 - 2 times amount of ram you have, still applies for the paging file in Windows 7. I guess, I need to run Diskeeper Professional 2011 and shrink my 8 gb. pagefile's on each drive.

Reaction score
I have the space because of the size of my drive 1.5 TB and I only use 65 GB and that includes the swap file. I also believe that how much memory one has depends on how much they want and can afford. There use to be saying back in the day you can never have to much Disc space (I have 4 Internal drives) and never have to much memory. I only have a swap on the C: drive no sense having it on my other drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question