Old user name

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently purchased a second hand laptop,and although i have changed the account name and computer name,i find that if i click 'my computer' icon on desktop,then c drive and scroll down to users, the name of the previous owner is next to a folder with a padlock next to it, i can open this folder to view, but what i really want to do is change the name of this folder to my own removing the previous name, is this possible ?

Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Change the username back to his name. Then create a NEW User with your name; make sure you set it up as an admin. Logon with the new username and after a week or two, once you are sure you can do everything you need, delete the old username.

Changing the username never really changes the created folder, it really just creates an alias. If you want a different folder then you must create new.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, i was a little unsure, as i once deleted a similar folder in users, (on a different machine) and ended up deleting a profile and nothing would work properly.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Use the Control Panel > User account to create New accounts and Delete old, don't just go to C:\Users and delete because yes you will destroy the user profile.

Reaction score
Use the Control Panel > User account to create New accounts and Delete old, don't just go to C:\Users and delete because yes you will destroy the user profile.
Thanks,will that get rid of the other name on the users folder ?
Dont quite understand your NOTE ?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
"NOTE: If I include a link, I am recommending the article or the product, I do NOT however, recommend any other links on the page (especially the "run this to check your system" garbage!)." is a default footer message that is attached to every post I make. I didn't recommend any websites to you so it doesn't really apply in your situation. It is simply a warning that if I do recommend a website for something, it does not mean I recommend every link they advertise and you need to follow links at your own discretion.

Once you delete through control panel > user account then I believe it should automatically delete the C:\users\deletedID folder for you but if it doesn't, then at that point it is OK if you delete what is left.

Ask a Question