OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
What's OEM I know it's for system builders but should any one buy it, is it breaking the licensing laws to use OEM if you are not a system builder. I know it's a cheap way of getting Win 7 with no M$ support. but what happens if you get cought?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
What's OEM I know it's for system builders but should any one buy it, is it breaking the licensing laws to use OEM if you are not a system builder. I know it's a cheap way of getting Win 7 with no M$ support. but what happens if you get cought?
Original Equipment Manufacturer is what OEM stands for. It's term that is used generically throughout the manufacturing world from toasters to rockets.

Technically, if you put your own computer together, then your a system builder. Now if you use it to install on an older computer, then you're breaking the terms of the EULA.

It is an inexpensive way to get Windows 7, but since there is NO support you're on your own regarding software OS issues. No MS support at all. I just built a new system for a customer and purchased Windows 7 Pro x64 at Fry's Electronics for $119 USD.

Now, if you get caught is a whole different thing all together. :eek:

First, Ballmer and Sinofsky take you to the city square where you're placed upon a large tree stump and tied down securely.

Second: They both take turns giving you 20 lashes with a cat-o-nine tails.

Third: You're then shackled in the pillory and various lower members of society sling assorted rotten vegetables at your head and body.

Fourth: You're then taken to the STAR CHAMBER where you are forced to watch ALL of Bill Gates presentations and speeches for the past 30 years.

IF you survive the Fourth ordeal, you're set free and allowed to continue to use Windows 7 OEM with no hassles.

In all seriousness, M$ is NOT going to send the "Men In Black" to your home and have you arrested or abducted.

Reaction score
That's good, So M$ arn't going to be looking for people with OEM on a old computer's and terminating copy's. Getting busted for having OEM Copy's or spending time in the cell.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Coco, you're not going to get busted for using Windows OEM OS's. They are meant to be used by system builders who in turn installs these systems on computers to sell. Any support must come from the system builder. In reality, it works like this: You buy a Windows OEM OS of any kind, the OS must be accompanied with a non-peripheral component, to meet the System Builder requirements. This "component" is usually untested and not guaranteed. It may be a memory chip, hard drive, power cord, DVD player or any such part. Some OEM systems may be "branded", meaning that they are to be used on a particular brand of computer (Dell, HP, Gateway,etc). Some are "unbranded", meaning they can be installed on any computer that will run it. The large majority of these systems available are XP Pro SP2. When it's updated, there will be a chance to update to SP3. In fact, it's one of the first updates made. Same thing with Win 2K Pro. They are all SP2. They come with IE5. In order to update, you must update the browser to IE6. So the first update is IE6,SP1. Then you are offered (and should accept) the SP4 rollup update. It includes all necessary updates for your service packs. After that, you fully update the system. Back to XP Pro. That's when Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) begins. That's the anti-piracy program that Microsoft started on 04/25/2006. Upon your first visit to Windows or Microsoft Update, an Active X control is downloaded to your computer, which checks the authenticity of your software. If successful in validating Windows, it stores a license file on the PC for future verification, then the regular update download can continue. Should you not pass verification, you'll get a notice in the lower right corner of your screen, as well as a black (but usable) screen. You MUST contact the seller of the software immediately (without delay), in order to exchange your product or acquire a refund. THIS is where buying from a company that has an anti-piracy program in place is imperative. Contrary to popular belief, eBay has an agreement with Microsoft and has a such program in place. Out of countless purchases of Windows software that I bought on eBay, only one failed validation, and my money was refunded within 48 hours. Back to validation: In Windows Vista and Windows 7, should you not validate, the situation is worse. There is no Aero, and in XP, Vista and Windows 7, you only get critical updates. You don't get MSE, Windows Defender or the Windows Live suite. You also can't use the Windows Media Player. Back to OEM distributions. You "build" a computer for yourself or to sell. You provide support for the computer and OS in question. Microsoft doesn't supply customer support, and should the OS develops problems, the system builder is responsible for resolving problems. Coco, should the OS be determined "genuine", there will be no one kicking your door in to arrest you. It is my hope that this explanation will help you in knowing what an OEM distribution is, and to make you aware if a seller is trying to rip you off. Don't buy from street vendors, buy only from distributors where you have a guarantee (check them out), and you'll be OK.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
That being said, I would never install Windows 7 OEM on a customers old computer and if they requested the OEM on a new build I'd make sure they understand the implications

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've never installed a Windows 7 OEM, period. Nor any form of Vista. The only installs that I do for others are Win 2K Pro & XP (home & pro), and various Linux "distros". And most of the Windows installs are actually "reinstalls", where you don't even insert the license key. And with Linux, there are no such codes, as you can freely download, copy, install and share your disc with anyone. Months ago, I tried a couple Linux OS's, but it's not my cup of tea. But if someone wants it installed, I'll do it for them.

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I order and use some OEM hardware but not an OS.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You buy a Windows OEM OS of any kind, the OS must be accompanied with a non-peripheral component, to meet the System Builder requirements. This "component" is usually untested and not guaranteed. It may be a memory chip, hard drive, power cord, DVD player or any such part. Some OEM systems may be "branded", meaning that they are to be used on a particular brand of computer (Dell, HP, Gateway,etc). Some are "unbranded", meaning they can be installed on any computer that will run it
When you go buy the OEM of Windows along with the components to build a new system, such as hard drive, motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc. there are no issues with the seller or Microsoft.

All of the computer stores selling Windows 7 OEM sell the Microsoft version, not a branded version. It installs fine with no issues. It takes an ID of usually the motherboard or sometimes the hard drive.

Branded versions I have never seen for sale except maybe eBay, but I don't buy any software from eBay, at all. I have seen branded versions on the P2P sites, but have no need for that crap since it is brand specific.

I used XP Pro OEM in the past and when I had a hard drive failure and had to reinstall, a simple call to MS got it activated again. Same again when the motherboard failed due to premature capacitor failure.

I don't see any issue at all with using an OEM version of Windows 7 as long as the person who is using it understands the "no MS support" parameter, etc.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That, in short, is what I'm trying to tell Coco. I don't mess with P2P sites, nor do I deal with shady people. I've never tried a OEM Windows 7 or any form of Vista, but XP Pro, I know what I'm talking about. That's why the requirement of a component to be included is in the deal. You can build a system for yourself, as well as for selling to others. There are several members here who have.

Reaction score
THIS is where buying from a company that has an anti-piracy program in place is imperative. Contrary to popular belief, eBay has an agreement with Microsoft and has a such program in place
Do you have proof of this agreement?
  • If so, I will lay off purchasing through Ebay.
  • If not, this quot is invalid.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't have written proof of it, but when I had that single issue with a bad program, they explained it to me. At one point, Microsoft was heavily on the backs of several online auction and purchase sites, including eBay. I will have to look at the site to see if a written agreement is posted. However, if you obtain a counterfeit item through them, they refund your money. I know this firsthand, not through talk. But I will examine the site and see if there is a posting pertaining to the agreement, that's the best that I can do. Well, I just found the page, downloaded it and tried to upload it here, but it keeps saying "invalid file". I tried to send it through the URL link, that doesn't work, either. But I do have the page, and as soon as I can figure how to upload it, I will.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That link leads to the page that I'm talking about, at the bottom, there is a "policies" link. Dig through that and it's there.

Reaction score
eBay Terms for Microsoft Bing Cashback Rewards
Eligibility
You are eligible to participate in the Cashback Program as long as you:
(a) are at least 18 years of age and reside in the United States,
(b) have a confirmed US eBay.com account in good standing,
(c) have a verified US PayPal account in good standing,
(d) have a Microsoft Cashback Program Account in good standing; and
(e) comply with the eBay Terms and the Program Terms.
In order for your accounts to be in good standing, they must not be limited or suspended.
This is more of a relationship between eBay, PayPal, and Bing.

I was asking for proof of Microsoft supporting items being sold on eBay. Here Microsoft Bing is only a condition of a cash back offer regardless of whether the item being sold was supported or not by Microsoft.

This would mean allot if Microsoft would honor their product sales on eBay. If not then you are simply taking chances, one that I am not willing to make.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
It's microsofts new search engine, much like Google

Reaction score
I Have the Live tool bar with a search box that says BING. But why do I need BING

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I Have the Live tool bar with a search box that says BING. But why do I need BING
You don't. It's just a search engine, much like Google, just inferior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question