OEM to MSDN upgrade?

Reaction score
So I brought a laptop that came with Win 7 Home Edition. I have a legit MSDNAA win 7 Ultimate key and would like to unlock Ultimate on my laptop.

I first tried window upgrade anytime and it wouldn't accept the key.

Then I tried doing Product Key Changer via command prompt, but I get the following error:

On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC004F015' to display the error text.

Error: 0xC004F015

The key is correct. I checked it a few times. I have used the key before. Is there anyway for me to upgrade to ultimate without wiping the HD and reinstalling everything?

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
An ultimate key requires an Ultimate installation; you cannot use anytime upgrade and you cannot simply change the Home Premium key and suddenly have Ultimate.

You should be able to download the Ultimate ISO from MSDN where you got the key. Or you should be able to download Win7 Pro from the links HERE and then follow the instructions HERE to modify it and then burn the ISO.

Make note that special programs installed by the manufacturer will not be on the official W7 release and so they will need to be gotten from the manufacturer, replaced with alternatives, or sacrificed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
An ultimate key requires an Ultimate installation; you cannot use anytime upgrade and you cannot simply change the Home Premium key and suddenly have Ultimate.

You should be able to download the Ultimate ISO from MSDN where you got the key. Or you should be able to download Win7 Pro from the links HERE and then follow the instructions HERE to modify it and then burn the ISO.

Make note that special programs installed by the manufacturer will not be on the official W7 release and so they will need to be gotten from the manufacturer, replaced with alternatives, or sacrificed.
Doesn't Win 7 come with all the features (i.e. up to Ultimate or Pro?)? and upgrade anytime unlocks them? That was my understanding of Win 7.. but I guess I was wrong?

Is there a way to get Windows Remote Desktop onto Home other than upgrade? Since, essentially that is the only feature I want.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, and if you had an upgrade key then that would work but you don't; you have an installation key and they are not interchangeable.

Officially no, but there is a tutorial here that might do what you seek. Pay attention to their warning "Please create a system restore point before using this trick to be on the safer side."

Another possibility is THIS and this one specifically mentions it has been updated for use with W7 SP1.

Last edited:

Ask a Question