Not all memory used ??

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have a notebook, with windows 32 bits installed, but my computer has a dual core core processor and 4Gb of memory.
But now, my computer only recognizes/uses 2GB.
Why? Are there any possibility to use all the 4Gb, with windows 7 32bis? or the only way, is to upgrade to windows 7 64 bits?

Thanks !!:)

Reaction score
win 7 32-bit see only 2 gig. 64 bit will see 4 gig, however you will have to save your data from 32 bit and then install a fresh copy of 64 bit win 7 to get use of all 4 gig of ram

Reaction score
If you are not planning any RAM upgrade I wouldn't upgrade the OS just because of that.

Win 7 bit will see 4GB, but only address 3.XGB. If you plan to upgrade, you must change to a x64 OS.

Check your BIOS settings and everything on your system, Win 7 should be able to see your total RAM.

Reaction score
Win 7 x86 should se 3.x GB of physical memory if you have 4gb installed. Is your BIOS seeing the whole 4GB?

If BIOS does not see it, reseat the memory, and if that fails, one of the sticks is bad, and needs to be replaced.

Last edited:
Reaction score
win 7 32-bit see only 2 gig. 64 bit will see 4 gig, however you will have to save your data from 32 bit and then install a fresh copy of 64 bit win 7 to get use of all 4 gig of ram
Not correct. Windows 7 32-bit can see up to 4GB, less the amount of memory on your GPU and additional chunks reserved for other hardware in your system. The result of this situation is that users will have anywhere between 2.0 and 3.9GB of their total installed memory.

or the only way, is to upgrade to windows 7 64 bits?
This is the only way.

Reaction score
Thrax you are absolutely correct. 32 bit will see almost all of the 4 gig.
To see the entire 4 gig and more of memory you must run a 64 bit OS

Ask a Question