SOLVED No driver found- XP upgrade to Windows 7

Reaction score
I am trying to upgrade my Dell Inspiron Desktop 530 from XP to Windows 7 -32bit. I have the Windows 7 Professional disk. When I try to install Windows 7, I get the message "No Driver found". Please help. I ma not a computer whiz but from looking at my computer I see the chipset is Intel Version 8.3.0.1013,A00.

Reaction score
No driver found

Actually the message i am getting during the Windows 7 installation is
"Load Driver",
when i Click "Load Driver", I get another message that says "No Driver Found" with an option to Browse and a message "To install the device driver needed to access your hard drive, insert the installation media containing the driver files, and then click OK".

When i click on Browse, there are no drivers found.

Reaction score
OK, that means your hard drive is a sata drive. Download the sata driver from the first link I gave you. That's Dell's web page for driver's for your pc, so make sure you add it to your web browser's Favorites. If that link doesn't have a sata driver then contact that phone number I gave you. P.S. Put the driver on a flash/thumb drive. When you get to the screen that ask's for the driver plugin the flash drive and it should find it.

Reaction score
It's the Intel Matrix Storage Driver at the bottom of the list. They have 2 different one's. Download both and put both on a flash drive. Make sure that you un-zip them first, as most driver's come as .zip files.

Reaction score
OK, I just clicked on each Intel Matrix driver on Dell's website. You need to install the Vista driver's, which will work in Windows 7. The top Intel Matrix drive is for 64 bit x64. The bottom Intel Matrix driver is 32 bit x86. Just download the driver for which ever version of Windows you're install i/e: 32 bit x86 or 64 bit x64. Also, I'd download all the Dell driver's for your pc and also put them on a flas drive. You'll need the majority of them after installing Windows 7.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Are you installing from the "Boot Up" option? If so, then you shouldn't need a driver.

How are you doing your install process? It should be from a clean install method of setting your DVD drive as the "First Boot Device" in the motherboard BIOS.

More info please... Thanks! :)

Where exactly are you seeing the "No Driver Found" message?

Reaction score
Brkkab123

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it. Will download all the drivers for my computer from the Dell website on to a flash drive as recommended. The installation i plan to do is for 32-bit.

However I went to the Dell website and downloaded the SATA driver which for some reason is split into two zip files. When I try to unzip the first one, i get a message stating " This self-extracting file is part of a multidisk file. Please insert the last disk of the set". Not a clue what this means so I again went to the Dell site for further instructions on how to handle the "multidisk file" but to no avail.

Reaction score
Nibiru2012

I am doing an upgrade installation from XP to Windows professional 32-bit. I have the upgrade diskette with the product key

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The upgrade from XP to W7 is a complete install. It simply copies all your XP files to Windows.old first.

What happens if you put the W7 DVD in the drive and then boot up with it?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
All W7 DVDs from the factory ARE bootable, even upgrades.

BUT it is possible your DVD drive is not set as the primary boot device in your BIOS so you would have to go to your BIOS and fix that.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
As TM stated, ALL Windows 7 install DVDs are bootable. Regardless of whether they're OEM, Upgrade, or Full Retail.

You do not need to have any drivers for the install to begin, just ensure that the DVD drive is set as the first bootable device in the BIOS. Now if you want to install the Intel RST or Matrix drivers then you can do that from the screen that shows the drive listed and it's total capacity.

You still have listed what hardware you have and such, doing so really helps us on this end to give you more accurate answers.

As TM and I have both stated... you DO NOT NEED to have ANY drivers ready for the install to begin and complete. The Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers (formerly known as "Matrix drivers") are not needed, but you have the option to install them during the OS install or wait until the OS has completely installed. The choice is yours.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks. brkkab123

Thanks. TrainableMan

Thanks. Nibiru2012

You guys are geniuses. I was not aware that all W7 disks were bootable. Once i booted from the dvd drive everything went smooth. Thanks to all.

Ask a Question