No Drive found durring win 7 installation

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Hi Mughal. The hard drive does not require drivers to function, none should be needed whatsoever. The chipset drivers are a different matter entirely, did you mean those?

I installed in another computer and it was not even seen in the disk management. It was a dead drive, the issue had nothing to do with Windows. I actually tried it in several different computers, laptops and desktops. I tried USB bridge adapters and could see the drive as mass storage but it would not write any data. In diskpart I could focus on the disk/volume and even create partitions but as soon as I left diskpart and tried to install, nothing. Same message. I got a new drive and everything happened correctly.
I am glad you were able to sort the problem. If a drive is not listed in disk management then it is often a failed drive, I am sorry that was the case for you and ya had to replace your drive.

I aint gona buy a new hard .......its the third month of my new laptop ......
If the laptop is only 3 months old then it should still be under warranty. Dell's support should be able to help you, and worst case if the drive is defective then they will send you a replacement at no cost as long as the laptop is under a valid warranty.

Reaction score
yes thats what i didnt want to do ....it contained very important data ......which i never wanted to loose .......now i have claimed for warranty .....lets see what happens :(

Reaction score
you may have accidentally deleted the window 7 boot files that are required to boot the window up
you should recover your window 7

Reaction score
/...

Nope it does not recover hard disk errors .......i tried every option but in the end i had to claim for warranty ........now i dnt know whether ill be able to recover my data or not

Reaction score
I'm trying to install a fresh win 7 x64 on a desktop with 8 gig RAM, on a gigabyte MB on a 500mb SATA drive. It's either no drive found or it it shows the drive, but states that it can't find an active partition (I think this is the error).

But whether it sees a drive or not I can go into windows repair and from the DOS command find the drive. I have even formatted it from DOS. VISTA x64 was running from this PC before.

Can anyone tell what I need to do to complete the install? I have tried 3 different drives same results, Can see drive(s) in BIOS. I have moved folders and files onto one of the drives and they can be assessed from DOS, but windows install can't find the drive...

Thanks for the help...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Problem seems to be resolved. Windows is installing now...

Ran Diskpart.exe utility to clean the hard disk, using these steps:
Insert the DVD into the DVD drive.
On the disk selection screen, press SHIFT+F10. A Command Prompt window opens.
Type diskpart, and then press ENTER to open the diskpart tool.
Type list disk, and then press ENTER. A list of available hard disks is displayed.
Type sel disk number, and then press ENTER. number is the number of the hard disk that you want to clean. The hard disk is now selected.
Type det disk, and then press ENTER. A list of partitions on the hard disk is displayed. Use this information to verify that the correct disk is selected.
Make sure that the disk does not contain required data, type clean all, and then press ENTER to clean the disk. All the partitions and all the data on the disk is permanently removed.
Type exit, and then press ENTER to close the diskpart tool.
Close the Command Prompt window.
Click the Refresh button to update the disk selection screen. This step lists the disk.
Then ran Windows Setup to perform a clean installation of Windows.

Thanks...

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Diskpart is an excellent tool available as part of the Windows 7 install DVD. A little confusing at first but once you've done it a time or two, it's a piece of cake.

Reaction score
Worked like a charm, install finished and have updated the OS. All's well...thanks

Reaction score
No disk again

I gotta revive this thread because I'm trying to do a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate and I'm getting the no disk error also. I've gone through DISKPART but it doesn't recognize any disks. The only tihng that is there is a volume for my DVD drive.

I went into BIOS and it recognizes that I have a harddrive there. For some reason it doesn't recognize the HDD when I go to install it.

Reaction score
Nevermind

I fixed it... I figured out that I needed the RAID drivers for my RAID 0 setup. Once I downloaded the correct ones for my motherboard, I just clicked "Load Driver" at the setup screen and everything started working.

Reaction score

Type list disk, and then press ENTER. A list of available hard disks is displayed.
Type sel disk number, and then press ENTER. number is the number of the hard disk that you want to clean. The hard disk is now selected.
Type det disk, and then press ENTER. A list of partitions on the hard disk is displayed. Use this information to verify that the correct disk is selected.
Make sure that the disk does not contain required data, type clean all, and then press ENTER to clean the disk. All the partitions and all the data on the disk is permanently removed.
Click the Refresh button to update the disk selection screen. This step lists the disk.

Thanks...

This was very helpful... it solved my issue thanks again

Reaction score
i have a .iso file... i am running it using power iso... but i am getting the same error as no drives found.. pls help..

Reaction score

Thanks...
Hey
I'm kinda in the same problem, however when I select my main disk and then type 'det disk'

It shows that there are no volumes
this is the message I get

Disk ID: 00000000000
Type: SATA
Target:0
LUN id:0
location path: pciroot.....
read only: no
boot disk: no
hibernation file disk : no crashdump disk: no
clustered disk: no

There are no volumes.

if I then try to attempt to 'clean all' , it does nothing and can't even type in commands anymore

EDIT: actually i did made progress by this because to the question: where do you want to install windows, I now can see ' disk 0 unallocated space ... ' this is something that didn't arrise before. However when trying to chose that location it gives an error: 0x80300024

Edit2: just searched for the error on the forum and already found my solution; good place to be :D

Last edited:

Ask a Question