NIC specific application setting in Windows 7

Reaction score
Hello,

I need some help. I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Basic. The PC has a LAN interface and a WiFi interface. Both the LAN and WiFi have individual IP addresses and connects to two different routers.

What I'm trying to do is have IE10 connect only through the LAN card that connects to my computer's router. & have all other applications use the WiFi adapter to connect to the internet.

So far, I have tried to use ForceBindIP to bind the applications and use Route command to route the traffic.. but will no success.

Can someone please provide me detailed steps to go about this? I can be reached at (e-mail address removed)

Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think ForceBindIP would be your best bet to be honest - what problems did you run in to when using it?

Did you run it as:

ForceBindIP %NetworkCardIP% C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have seen this done on servers but not home computers. I am not sure I can see any advantage to doing this, except perhaps to isolate your "local" network on NIC1 from your Internet access via NIC2.

Ensuring proper security through multiple NICs, firewalls, OS settings, and anti-malware solutions can be a chore to setup, and maintain. Rather if me, I think I would use 2 computers, connecting computer 1 performing these tasks to router 1 and computer 2 performing those tasks to router 2.

What I'm trying to do is have IE10 connect only through the LAN card that connects to my computer's router. & have all other applications use the WiFi adapter to connect to the internet.
The problem is, so many of our other applications, including the OS, require Internet access too - to get updates, to send/retrieve emails, etc.

Ask a Question