networking with windows 7

Reaction score
I have 3 computers. The oldest runs XP. The new desktop runs W7 and the new laptop runs W7. I have tried to connect the W7 machines so that they allow me access and get a message telling me that W7 machines running W7 Home Premium cannot be connected together. Is this a fact or is there a way around?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hi and welcome! :)

Are trying a direct connection with a crossover cable or going through a router?
Are you trying to share files or use the other computer remotely?

Reaction score
I am trying to go thru router.I want to be able to access and edit files in both directions

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Home Premium Editions can create as well as join networks; even Windows 7 Home Basic and Windows 7 Starter can Join them but they cannot create.

Are you attempting to use Home Groups? I have heard of problems using Home Groups and connecting W7 to XP machines or visa versa but not between two W7 machines.

Reaction score
Create a Homegroup

To create a Homegroup in Windows 7, you need to get in ‘Control Panel‘ from ‘Start menu‘. You need to then select the ‘Choose Homegroup and sharing options‘ and select the ‘Create a Homegroup‘ button. You can then see the ‘Create a Homegroup‘ screen in which you need to select the item to be shared. You will be provided with a password after you have created the Homegroup. After that, you need to note down the password and click the ‘Finish‘ button. It will bring up the ‘Change homegroup settings‘ screen and you need to ensure that the printer has been selected. The Homegroup is thus set-up.

Connect other computers to Your Homegroup

You need to now connect other systems to the Homegroup. To do this, you need to access ‘Control Panel‘ from the ‘Start menu‘ and select the ‘Choose Homegroup and sharing options.’ It will display a message that the Windows has detected another homegroup on your network. At the time, you need to click the ‘Join Now‘ button. It will then ask for a password and you need to enter the password you got after you have created the Homegroup. Just click the ‘Finish‘ button and get the system connected.

Reaction score
Create a Homegroup.
Only Windows 7 uses Homegroup. Older operating systems will still need to use the aging Workgroups.

The two Windows 7 macchines can communicate using Homegroup. The one XP machine will need to use the Workgroup networking to communicate with the Windows 7 machines.

Reaction score
Hi All,

Could you change the WORKGROUP on the xp machine to HOMEGROUP?
I did on a two machine via wireless router network. It seemed ok not always reliable but liveable.

Regards
Neil V

Reaction score
Sorry Cifford.

i didn't mean to offend you.
I simply made an observation based on my own experience.

Neil V

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
neil, Homegroup was not a part of XP so I don't understand how you could have set a homegroup on an XP machine. Do you have a link/URL to explain/show step-by-step what you did?

Reaction score
I am not at home so haven't got the xp machine available.

If you navigate to the change computer name you should have the option there.

This is the procedure in 7 Start >Control Panel>System >advanced system settings >System Properties>Computer Name: Where it says ' To rename this computer... Click change and rename from Workgroup to Home group.

It worked for me but as i said earlier it was a little unreliable.

Neil V

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It sounds like maybe you changed the name of your workgroup to "homegroup", but it is still a workgroup. A workgroup can actually be any name, it's just all the computers in the workgroup must be using the same name to see each other and the default is "workgroup".

Homegroups, on the other hand, are a new method of connecting machines which are supposed to make it "easier" to set up a network but Microsoft seemed to have forgotten or chose to imagine that there would not be any XP machines left.

Reaction score
Hi Trainableman,
The way you explain It you are correct.
Thank you,
Neil v

Ask a Question