Windows 7 Networking Problem

Jim

Reaction score
Hi,
My wife and I have Windows 7 on each of our computers. I thought I installed networking between the two computers. I am able to look at files from each of our computers. However, we I open a file in one of the computers it will not let me save the updated file. The error message says the file is read only. Any ideas?
Thanks, Jim

Reaction score
You have successfully shared files between the two computers but for added protection by default writing to the opposite computer is disabled. If you right mouse click on the folder that you have shared and click on properties. Click on the security tab. Make sure that write and modify are checked or full control if you are not worried about as tight of security. Then click on the sharing tab. Click on advanced sharing, then on permissions. Make sure that write change is enabled.

From there you will be able to make changes to documents on either computer and keep the changes on the local machine.

Ask a Question