Networking Win7 with XP - error


Joined
Jun 13, 2010
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am having an issue with a home network.

One computer has windows 7 ultimate. The other computer has xp.

Both are connected by ethernet to a d-link wbr1310 router, which is connected to my modem.

Both machines can access the internet and browse successfully. However I cannot share files between each machine. The router sees each machine fine, it's just that xp and win7 don't see each other.

On the windows 7 machine, when I go to control panel/allcontrolpanel items/ system... it shows the workgroup to belong to "WORKGROUP"

This is also the case with the XP machine. (belongs to WORKGROUP)

When I log into my dlink router this is what I see:



IN the dynamic DHCP client list at the bottom, the hostname "upstairs" refers to the XP machine.

Using the windows 7 machine, I navigate to control panel / network and internet/ network and sharing centre

As you can see here, the XP machine is not visible



I click "see full map"

windows tries to create a network map, but returns the following:



I click on the tab for "more info"and tried installing the (LLTD) responder package, but was informed by XP that this install was older than what was currently installed and the service pack update is unnecessary.

About a month ago both machines were showing in the network and I could share files with out issuse..one dayI woke up and could no longer share..

Why can I not see my XP machine in the Network?
 
Ad

Advertisements

bassfisher6522

VIP Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2010
Messages
748
Reaction score
126
In widows 7 the network group is called HomeGroup. Make sure that HomeGroup is the name on both machines.

home network name.PNG

In your screen shot it looks like you haven't set up your home network on the 7 pc. Click on the create and follow instructions, this is where you will see the network name as work group. Then change the network name on Xp pc to Home group.
 
Last edited:

clifford_cooley

VIP Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
1,184
bassfisher homegroup is a new Windows 7 feature. Windows XP will not be able to see any homegroups.

I wish I could respond to this question. However I have not worked with making a XP connection to Windows 7. Having Windows 7, I can transfer files to Windows XP. I haven't tried to make XP transfer files to Windows 7.
 

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
VIP Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
1,050
Reaction score
251
Set Up Both PC's as WORKGROUP.



In Win 7 goto Control Panel/Network and Sharing Centre (small icon view), In the left hand pane click on "Change advanced sharing settings".
Check your settings under BOTH the Home and Work AND the Public profiles.






I always turn off the password protected sharing as well.

If you now look in your Win 7 network settings, the easiest way is to make Network visible on your start menu, you should see your XP machine.



(You did turn XP on didn't you? :) ;) )
 
Last edited:
Joined
Jun 13, 2010
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have done all these things in network and sharing section. The real mystery is that this was all working up until about a month ago. I could see the XP machine from win 7 machine and vice versa. I could share files and printers. I can still ping both computers from each other but it won't pick up the network.
 
Joined
Nov 16, 2010
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
This thread is pretty old, but the only one that seems to address the problem I'm having.
Home network with 4 XP Pro machines, a WD network hard drive, and my work laptop running Win7 Pro 32 bit. 99% of the time, I come home, plug in my laptop and I can see the XP machines, use printer/file shares, access the Internet, etc. The remaining 1%, I plug in, I can access the Internet, get my work email, but the XP machines no longer show up under network. initially, the printer won't print, but if I 'add printer', then I at least can use that. I can map a network drive to a file share on the XP machine (by name), but it still won't show up under Network.
Usually I 'play' with this for a couple days, then all of a sudden, everything shows up under Network again and I'm good for 3-4 months (all the XP machines are seen in Network).
Reboot, stop/start Computer Browser, change Workgroup and change back,nothing seems to fix it until laptop decides it wants to play nicely with the other machines again.
Anyone else run into this or have ideas?
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top