Networking 64 bit and 32 bit

Reaction score
I purchased a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit. I need to network with some older computers that can only be upgraded to Windows 7 32 bit. Will I have networking issues?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Not at all. If all the computers use Windows 7 (32bit or 64bit) they will work with Homegroups.

If you ever need to share files with non-Windows 7 computers, just create a shared folder on the network, as Homegroup is only a feature available in Windows 7. I made a tut about it here:
https://www.w7forums.com/share-files-over-network-t5562.html

By the way, Welcome to the forums! Now, you can't deny that was a fast reply :D

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Just to confirm what Tiger Direct told me is accurate;
I can do an upgrade on a computer running Windows Vista 32 bit to a Windows 7 64 bit?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
No you can't! You can't upgrade frameworks (32bit / 64bit). You'll have to do a clean install for that. You can only upgrade to Windows 7 32bit from Vista 32bit, and from Vista 64bit to WIndows 7 64bit.

But upgrading is anyway a VERY BAD idea. You'll have loads of problems (99% of the time). I really advise you to do a clean install, even if you're going to Windows 7 32bit and not 64bit. You'll have a much cleaner system and better performance.

I know one of the members here is gonna come say to he has had no problem with his upgrade, but he's just lucky :p I think it was davehc...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I understand a clean install will work better. Will the older computer take a clean install with Windows 7 64 bit or will only take 32 bit?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
You can clean install on anything ;)

But it depends what your computer can take. Go for 64bit if you have a comp with 3GB RAM or more, and a 64bit capable processor. If not, go for 32bit.
Incidently, if you try to install 64bit Windows on a 32bit machine, it'll give you an error and won't let you install...

What specs do your old computers have?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Computer 1) AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5000 2.61 GHz Ram 2046 MB

Computer 2) Intel Core 2 CPU 6320 @ 1.8 GHz Ram 2.00 GB

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Both machines should be fine with 64bit ;) Though, 2GB RAM really is the minimum for 64bit Windows.

Reaction score
I will add more memory to both computers and try 7 64 bit.

Thank you very much for your help! What an excellent forum! :)

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
You're welcome ;)

Indeed, this forum has to be one of the most welcoming ones I've ever seen. :)

Hehehe - I'm helping as many people possible to get to my goal; 1000 posts by Christmas! You're one lucky lad :D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You should run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on each machine you plan to upgrade. It will tell you of known compatibility issues and should tell you if there is any reason your computer cannot run 64-bit.

You can also check out the Windows 7 Compatibility Center

Please note neither of these options can tell you about every single piece of hardware or software but if the item IS listed then you can be pretty sure it is or is not compatible based on the result displayed.

You may also want to look into Windows Easy Transfer. It is a tool for backing up the existing logons and data from XP/Vista/W7 (it is pre-installed on W7 machines) and then you can restore the info to a new W7 build. Then just reinstall your software.

Ask a Question