my network places problem

Reaction score
hi.
on xp i used to be able to connect to my school web folder and it used to look like any other folder (i could save directly to it etc). now when i connect to it by the same means it comes up with a text with of my documents with blue links next to them. i can open them up but i cant save directly on to the server. please help...what am i doing wrong

Reaction score
If you are using IE and the site is an ftp site then hit 'Page' and 'Open FTP site in Windows Explorer'!

Reaction score
Ok. thanks, i just read my last post back and noticed about 5 grammar mistakes lol

Reaction score
no its not an ftp. i have attached a picture of the page. it used to come up as folders like in my computer. now it comes up like this:

Attachments

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, that looks like an FTP site to me :) If you do as Geoffers says it should work ok - it does for sites that I use like that.

In Internet Explorer (not sure how to do it in FF), open the site and then go to File > "Open FTP site in Windows Explorer". If the file menu isn't there, press ALT and it will appear.

Reaction score
Yes, I agree, it sure does look like an FTP site although the address bar states https:

By the way, I never could get FTP working in Firefox. The protocol is somehow completed tied to IE.

Reaction score
i cant find the ftp thing...its not in page...btw im using internet explorer 8

Reaction score
i cant find the ftp thing...its not in page...btw im using internet explorer 8.

Reaction score
You wont see it because ftp is not in the address!

Does it still appear OK in XP? There may be a temporary glitch.

If all else fails, have a word with your sysop.

Reaction score
I wonder if "Compatabilty View Settings" in "Tools" might help?

Reaction score
adammint7,

You say you're using IE8, but your screen shot shows Firefox.

Have you switched over to IE?

In IE, go to Tools > Internet Options, click on the Advanced tab and see if "Enable FTP Folder view" is checked. whatever is set at uncheck or check the box, then restart your computer.

Reaction score
yer i know the screen shot says firefox but i tried the ftp thing in IE8. thanks for all the help but i spoke to my admin and he is saying that their is a change in the new os that stops it from what it should be doing (opening up my computer insted of another webpage with text). looks like im stuck with the problem

thanks anyway guys

Adam Murray

Ask a Question