Multiple personalities: a laptop hard drive in a mini notebook body... Please HELP!

Reaction score
I have the hard drive from a Satellite L655-S5155 Laptop in the body of a Toshiba Mini Notebook NB255-N250. My boyfriend threw it together because I had a laptop whose fan had stopped working, and a notebook who woke up one morning with no operating system. (the notebook has no cdrom drive, so I couldn't reinstall windows) (and I am a low-income student, so I couldn't afford to get the laptop fixed or replaced) It works, kind of. Everything is suuuuper slow. For example when I use angry birds, the birds move in segmented arches like the way oldschool video game movements were, and this insane lag makes netflix next to impossible. Switching between multiple windows is a ridiculous chore, and it seems like programs are "[Not Responding]" more more than they are working. I'm not too technologically savvy, but to me it looks like the important stuff (that I could find) goes as follows-
For the Toshiba Mini Notebook NB255-N250: Intel® Atom™ Processor N455, 250GB HDD 5400rpm, Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Starter (32-bit), Interface 3 x USB (2.0), 1GB DDR2 memory
And for the S
atellite L655-S5155 Laptop: Intel® Pentium® Processor P6200, 64MB-1696MB, Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), 500GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial ATA), 4GB DDR3 1600MHz memory
It seems like something "isn't clicking in right", but my boyfriend hasn't figured it out and I haven't been able to google myself a solution, so I know this a shot in the dark, but if anybody can shed some light on the frankenstein issues I am having with this "computer", I would REALLY appreciate it! Also, if I can't find help here, does anyone have any forum or site reccomendations where I might get any clue at all? Thank you very much!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First off, as long as you have a USB port and a 4GB or larger flash drive then yes you can reinstall Win7. You cannot download W7 starter so download 32-bit Professionnal W7 SP1 ISO, use an ISO editor to remove the ei.cfg (see getting 4 versions thread), then use the bootable USB DVD/Download tool.

An atom is slow, that's why everything is slower. If you put the glove compartment of a Ferrari into a Volkswagen Beetle it will still hold your sunglasses but you shouldn't expect to get to the beach as fast. Plus you said the Satellite had 64-bit Home Premium; I'm surprised the mini can even run that, you need to install 32-bit.

As for the last part of your question,
Ruth said:
something "isn't clicking in right"
do you mean physically. Such as the Hard Drive doesn't seem to fit inside the compartment? Can you post a picture of what you are talking about?

Ask a Question