multiple network ports in Win7

Reaction score
This was easy in XP, but Win7 is driving me crazy. I have the need to connect to 3 separate/distinct networks (wired). Only one will provide internet access, the other 2 are strictly for local connection purposes.

In XP, I added the additional network ports, set static IP addresses and left the gateway/DNS settings blank on 2 of them. Everything worked fine.

On Win7 (64bit Pro), I set up the first network as 'work', assigned the IP address, gateway, and DNS and everything is fine. I can access local machines and the Internet.

I set an address (different IP network) for the second port. As soon as I connect/enable it, Windows tries to identify it, then goes to 'unidentified network' and pretty much shuts it down. The status shows 'no access' and I can't ping anything on the second network.

I do not lose Internet access (as I've seen from other posts), I just can't get anything to work on the second port. I've tried unchecking everything in the adapter settings except for IP v4, still no go.

Like I said, this was a 'no-brainer' in XP. Any words of wisdom are welcomed.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you go to Control Panel \ Administrative Tools and select Services do you have a service in the list called "Bonjour"? If so, please disable it and set it to "auto (delayed start)". This is an Apple service that doesn't play well well with W7 and could be causing issues.

Please post back your results so I know whether to keep looking.

Reaction score
Thanks, but been down that road already, and the one with the ###... service. Neither of those are on this system. That 'bug' also affects the Internet connection and mine continues to work fine.

Reaction score
Your problem is leaving the gateway and dns addresses blank.

Fill them in properly and it will work fine.

Reaction score
TorrentG- been down that road also. First, entering a gateway address on a second port pops up a Windows warning message that network routing may not work properly (which is true). Second, I don't need a gateway on 2 of the 3 ports. All I need to access are machines on the local network(s). Third, I tried it and it still didn't work, probably because the other 2 networks don't have access to the Internet. And lastly, this setup works just fine on an XP Pro machine.

Reaction score
You need to tell your nic where the gateway is if you are making static ip settings.

If you are connecting to another machine directly, use that nic's ip address (the one connected to that you manually set) as the gateway...and vice-versa..... on the other machine, use the local machine's ip address as the gateway.

There is no "bug".

Reaction score
Thanks to those who have tried to help. I 'think' I may have solved the problem; I'll know for sure when I try to connect the third (and possibly 4th) network port.

Basically, I had to disconnect the cable for my primary/Internet port. Now I only had the secondary network connected and it gave me the option to change it from a 'public' network to a 'work' network. Once that took effect, I could ping machines on the secondary network. Then I plugged the primary back in, got Internet and local network access, and life is finally good.

Looking at the network status now shows 'primary-Internet access', 'secondary-no Internet access' where as before it just said 'no access'.

I will keep this thread active until I try the third port and see if I can just plug it in, or I have to disconnect both the primary and secondary first to set it up as a 'work' network.

Reaction score
For those who might want to know just what the h--- I am trying to do: This is in a secured data center.

WIN7 PC ----> Network 1 (8 units) ----> firewall (w/remote VPN access)--> Internet
| | |
| | |---------->Network 2 (2 units-access/monitoring)
| |
| |--------------> Network 3 (2 units-access/monitoring)
|
|----------------> possibly network 4

And to make life even more interesting, Networks 2, 3, and 4 all have their own Internet or VPN access. That's why it's important that the Win7 machine only uses network 1 for remote/Internet.

Ask a Question