Multiple networks block internet connection

Reaction score
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on a computer I built with an i7 920 CPU on an Asus P6T motherboard and 6GB of DDR3 ram. Every time I try to connect via Cat 5 wired DSL connection it adds an additional "Unidentified network (public network) and lists "Multiple networks under the middle icon on the Network and Sharing Center with a red X between that and the internet. I have tried everything to get rid of the extra network but nothing has worked. It initially worked fine, but after getting a "critical update" it began to do this intermittently, now it does it all the time. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Thank you! Thanks you!! When I opened "change advanced sharing settings" on the "Network and Sharing Center" I had 2 chevrons to expand "Home or Work" and "Public" Since one network I was finding was a home network and the other an unidentified public, I turned off discovery on the Public settings while leaving it on on the home settings (both had been on) and whoalla 20 seconds later I was on the net. Great help.

Reaction score
Glad you got it going. If there is anything else, Let us know and we will do our best.

Reaction score
Hi Clifford,

I had a similar problem. I installed the 32 bit Windows 7 upgrade at the beginning of the month and ended up with multiple internet connections.

After a week of emailing both HP and Microsoft technical support and about 10 hours of installing and uninstalling Windows 7 I finally decided to revert back to Vista.

After reading your post this morning I decided to give it another try. Sure enough I ended up with multiple networks and no Internet connection. The Home Network and an Unidentified Network.

When I went into Network and Sharing Centre I had 2 chevrons to expand, Home and Unidentified. When I expanded the Unidentified Network the network discovery was turned off but everything else was turned on. I turned everything off and restarted the computer.

I now have only the Home Network showing. I also installed the windows updates and have restarted the computer several times just to be on the safe side. Total time about 15 minutes.

Thank you so much for the post, it’s unbelievable to me that the tech support at Microsoft and HP were not aware of such a simple fix.

Cheers
Jessie

Reaction score
Hi Jessie - Welcome to w7forums

I'm glad you got it going. :)

If you need anything else let us know. You should however start a new thread if it is on a different topic.

Reaction score
I've found a quick and dirty fix to this is to right-click on network icon in the task bar at the lower left, then go to Open Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > [right-click] Local Area Connection > Disable > [right-click] Local Area Connection > Enable. That seems to clear the extra network that's blocking access, but I have to do it every time I start up.

I'll try the fix here the next time I see multiple networks and let you know if it works for me. Thanks for the tip.

Reaction score
unidentified network blocking internet access

Hi Jessie - Welcome to w7forums

I'm glad you got it going. :)

If you need anything else let us know. You should however start a new thread if it is on a different topic.

I have done the turning off in the public chevron. I have disabled and enabled the networker adapter. Nothing seems to work for me.

Every time I lose power or turn off and restart I spend hours trying to get on the internet.

Is there another fix I need to apply. Please help.

Disconnected Jim

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did disabling Bonjour fix this problem, jlbaird?

Ask a Question