MSVCR71.DLL Missing is some Applications

Reaction score
I installed Softsqueeze 7.8 ( Softsqueeze is a front end for Squeezeboxserver an audio streaming server) on one of my LAN machines. I have tried both versions of the install one has JRE (with this version with JRE it always crashed and says msvcr71.dll can't be found) and the non JRE version asks for the Java folder which I give and it install, when starting the application same error missing msvcr71.dll

This a CLEAN install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64, all updates are current, Java, Quicktime and such are all installed and up to date. If I do a search for msvcr71.dll I find 8 and of course one is in the the Java folder where it should be.

I hope someone has this answer.

TIA
Dragon

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got the file !!! (MSVCR71.dll)

I know that post is old but I think many people can be in the same trouble :

I installed Softsqueeze 7.8 ( Softsqueeze is a front end for Squeezeboxserver an audio streaming server) on one of my LAN machines. I have tried both versions of the install one has JRE (with this version with JRE it always crashed and says msvcr71.dll can't be found) and the non JRE version asks for the Java folder which I give and it install, when starting the application same error missing msvcr71.dll

This a CLEAN install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64, all updates are current, Java, Quicktime and such are all installed and up to date. If I do a search for msvcr71.dll I find 8 and of course one is in the the Java folder where it should be.

I hope someone has this answer.

TIA
Dragon

Hello Vain Dragon !

You have to go to the following URL adress :
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/85052-missing-msvcr71-dll.html
It is a forum like this one. Look at the post from the user named "logicearth"and download the zip file.
Then extract it into C:\Windows\System32

N.B. : If you have some trouble with the access rights to overwrite the file, then you have to right-click on the original file and choose "Properties". Then select "Security". In the new page that will appear, choose "advanced" in the lowest part. A new opoup will open : Choose the page named "Owner" and select "administrators" and then click on "Apply" and then again "OK".
After you'll have to close every popups and then open again the properties of the file. Choose security again and select "modify" in the higher part of the page. Select your user account and then the administrators account. For both of them, give to each item the maximal authorizations.(crosses in cases). After, apply and OK. CLose again every popup and then you'll be able to overwrite or delete the file. You can do it for the whole system32 folder.

I think you won't have to restart the system after you have overwroten the file but just in case you can try to. It worked for me directly. XNVIEW (a picture manager tool) did the same kind of bug and error msg than your software. Now it's fine. Good luck !

Reaction score
I know that post is old but I think many people can be in the same trouble :

Hello Vain Dragon !

You have to go to the following URL adress :
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/85052-missing-msvcr71-dll.html
It is a forum like this one. Look at the post from the user named "logicearth"and download the zip file.
Then extract it into C:\Windows\System32

N.B. : If you have some trouble with the access rights to overwrite the file, then you have to right-click on the original file and choose "Properties". Then select "Security". In the new page that will appear, choose "advanced" in the lowest part. A new opoup will open : Choose the page named "Owner" and select "administrators" and then click on "Apply" and then again "OK".
After you'll have to close every popups and then open again the properties of the file. Choose security again and select "modify" in the higher part of the page. Select your user account and then the administrators account. For both of them, give to each item the maximal authorizations.(crosses in cases). After, apply and OK. CLose again every popup and then you'll be able to overwrite or delete the file. You can do it for the whole system32 folder.

I think you won't have to restart the system after you have overwroten the file but just in case you can try to. It worked for me directly. XNVIEW (a picture manager tool) did the same kind of bug and error msg than your software. Now it's fine. Good luck !
Thanks man for the nice solution ...

Ask a Question