MS Word availability

Reaction score
I have full and legitimate Win7 Ultimate. It had MS Word. I used MS Word a while, then I was informed that my "trial period" was over and MS Word quit working.

WHAT!

I get the full version and there is no permanent, working WORD? WTF? Can this be true?

I am using Open Office right now. It works fine. I even like it. But a friend called asking for help with MS Word and I wasn't able to help, not being familiar enough with the new menu on MS Word to recall what he needed to do.

After paying plenty for Win7 I will NOT put out extra bucks for MS Word. In fact, at this point, I may even publish some bitching.

Any suggesions?

Reaction score
MS Office, which ever version, is separate from the OS. With all new branded PC's off the retail shelfs do come with MS Office, now 2010, for a trial period. Which means you can only use it for a limited time...hence trial period. Generally this for a 60 day period. There are work arounds for extending it to 120 days. Eventually you will need to purchase the office suite if want to continue to use it.

There are a few options. One it just to buy it out right. Or 2, if your a qualifying candidate, you can get MS Office and other MS software at discounted prices.

http://www.microsoft.com/education/en-us/buy/Pages/eligible.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/student/en-us/default.aspx#fbid=3DliTXQxdr8

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, it is a well-known practice to include trial-ware on new computers; in fact the PC manufacturers get a kick-back (or discount on the W7 license) for including it. Word costs about the same as a new copy of W7 and Microsoft Office costs 3 or 4 times more than W7.

You try it & if you like it, you buy it ... and Microsoft's evil plan to sell you more stuff works, ha ha! :evil:

Ask a Question