Microsoft TechNet Plus Subscriptions Now Available at 25% OFF

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Let's use Windows 7 as an example, there are several editions: Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise. EACH of the those editions you get up to 10 product keys to use.

Let's say I have 10 product keys for Professional. I am using product key #1 for my computer. My son wants to update his desktop to Windows 7 Professional. Being the loving, generous father that I am... I give him Product Key #7. It's his now and I will no longer be able to use it, but I still have product keys 2-6 and 8-10 which are not activated and for my use.
Ok. I got it. Thanks!

Cheers,
Fire Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Ok. I got it. Thanks!

Cheers,
Fire Cat
Fire Cat, a word of wisdom and caution. Although you do have access to many downloads & keys, you don't want to get carried away with things. Becoming a new member and requesting all kinds of keys and so forth from the go, may raise an eyebrow or two. Use what you need, but don't get too greedy. Another TechNet member told me that their computer was audited, so be careful. But it's OK to get what you need, just don't abuse the program. Hope this helps.
Later,
Cat

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks!
By the way, what would happen if I updated 4 computers to windows 7?

Cheers,
Fire Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I guess if they were yours, it wouldn't be a problem. I've installed Ultimate on my desktop (already had & still have Pro), put a fresh install of XP ProSP3, Vista SP2 & Windows 7 Pro on my laptop. And installed Office 2010 Professional Plus on my desktop, too. Honestly, I doubt anything would happen, but there's those who gets carried away. Like doing paid upgrades for others. That is against the rules. At least now I know how some sellers on eBay gets their keys. A lot of the time, a seller has 10 keys of each Windows 7 version, followed by 10 keys for each Vista version, followed by 10 keys for each version of XP. I had often wondered how these sellers all came up with the magical number of 10, followed by a statement that the keys were issued by Microsoft. Now I know how it was done. That's clearly abuse of the program, and that's what I'm talking about. If a close family member needed an upgrade, yes, I could see that. But to upgrade all of your friends computers, no, that would be abuse. And there's certain products, like Office 2010, you can't even burn a disc of, you download it, and install and activate it on the computer you downloaded it to. So if you have four computers, yes, but if not, tread carefully. The keys that are issued to you are kept up with by TechNet. I've already been asked three times for discs & keys, the answer is no, before the rest of the words are out of their mouth. I had to buy mine, everyone else can buy their own software. I've printed several copies of the deal and gave some out, even posted it on the library board (after inking out all of the forum information with a magic marker).

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"And there's certain products, like Office 2010, you can't even burn a disc of, you download it, and install and activate it on the computer you downloaded it to. "

Query Cattiley?? I downloaded it as an .exe (Technet default) and put it on a CD???

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
ImgBurn wouldn't allow me to burn it. Usually when you have a downloaded file that can be copied, ImgBurn will allow me to do it. I'll try again, I just wanted a backup disc of it, so that I can install it on all of my OS's. It's an .exe file. I still have the original in my download folder. Mabye I did something wrong. I'll post back, as soon as I find out.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
OK, I see what I was doing wrong, I was burning it as though it were an OS. I selected a different way, now it's going. Thanks for letting me know.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Super. Glad for you that you got it sorted Cat

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, Thanks.
I'm definitly not going to abuse it. If I spend 300€ on something, I'm not going to start giving it out to my friends.
The 4 computers belong to my family, so I guess that's okay.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's good, Fire Cat. You certainly don't want to lose your subscription over your friends. Show them the deal, and let them buy their own subscription.

Ask a Question