Microsoft rolls out "Fix It Center" to Windows users

Reaction score
This is only a few days old but hey if it helps us then have a read I was very fast to post this as "FIX IT" Best of luck to all Microsoft Genuine user's we have waited a while now what to do with it.

regards
jeffreyobrien

<B>Microsoft is rolling out its “Fix It” software to Windows users.
The “Fix It” Software package brings together a series of automatic troubleshooters as well as personalized solutions based on the system’s hardware and software configuration.
The download is compatible with:
  • Windows XP SP3
  • Windows XP Pro (64-bit) SP2
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Server 2003 SP2
  • Windows Server 2008
  • Windows Server 2008 R2

The tool incorporates some 300 fixes for the most common ailments affecting Windows users.

The “Fix It” service is currently in beta.

It’s free, and could save you the time and hassle of having to make a support call. So what are you waiting for!
[UPDATE: Post updated to clarify Windows 7 support.]
</B>

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
A couple of days ago, I installed it on XP Pro to see how it would do, and it ran good. There was a similar program like this a year or so ago, I just don't remember who published it. However, your article is great, and I recommend it to others, too.

Reaction score
Catilley,
yes I thought that you would have seen it on 19th april,I was not able to read my newsletters until today.It works with RTM x64bit also testing it on a toshiba L500 with Professional x64bit,it seems to find more than the local troubleshooter we have in our O\S.Goodluck and as I said it does help in many or all errors especially the windows update error.

thanks catilley
respectfully
jeffreyobrien:beer:

Reaction score
I tried a couple of the fixes and they seemed to work well (better than the bundled which doesn't work at all).

I'm glad M$ decided to actually do something to help legal users as well as spending their time and resources chasing pirates.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I almost always tryout new software out on my laptop first.
That's cool. I always try out new software on my girlfriend! Wait... that's hardware! :eek: :eek: ;) :girl:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I tried a couple of the fixes and they seemed to work well (better than the bundled which doesn't work at all).

I'm glad M$ decided to actually do something to help legal users as well as spending their time and resources chasing pirates.
How very true, roban! Spending money to help us and keep us happy and going, spreads the word about Microsoft, and may convert a few pirates into legal users. Unfortunately, there will always be pirates, some wont pay, no matter what. But your statement strikes the nail on the head, us paying users needs all of the support that we can get. This was actually not the first launch of this program, I've seen it before, makes me wonder what happened to the original version of it.

Reaction score
I've installed it but of the 5 'tools' it wanted to install none covered any issues I had trouble with.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I installed it on the version of Windows 7 on my laptop, it did detect the issues (my video card is not capable of Aero), but there was nothing that could be done. Software is not a substitute for needing hardware upgrades. I ran the others, no issues were detected, so it appears to do a decent job. On the laptop, it did more for XP than Windows 7. However, I expected this, a couple of minor issues were found and fixed on XP Pro. I tried installing it on Win 2K, but it wasn't a valid application for 2K. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 9.

Reaction score
Mychael,
what five (5) tools are you speaking off I have approxitmately (27) tools are you trying to say that only 5 worked or 5 didn't do anything , Mychael .Let me know and if I can help you I will.
regards
jeffreyobrien

Reaction score
When I loaded it I got a list of five problems. None of which is happening to me.
1/ Internet explorer freezes or crashes. - I don't use i.e
2/Printing Problems or printing errors - Don't have any
3/Problems with sound or Audio, no sound - I have sound
4/ Video Freezes or Crashes in in IE - Don't use IE and have no video problems
4/ Your CD or DVD cannot read or write media. - Nope, mine works fine.

Reaction score
Mychael,
I understand fully what you mean,the Fix it tool will only run on genuine Microsoft Software which is why the (IE) browser issue is un clear ?Does it read issue not present or missing like my printer did ?

1/ Internet explorer freezes or crashes Issue not present

2/2/Printing Problems or printing errors - Issue not present

3/Problems with sound or Audio, no sound - Issue not present
4/ Video Freezes or Crashes in in IE - Don't use IE and have no video problems

4/ Your CD or DVD cannot read or write media. - Nope, mine works fine.

I run mine after reading your post and I was only reading issue not present so i removed my printer and the results worked fine maybe it is because many people mis understand results window reading issue not present anyway mychael as for my results I copy and paste them for you to see difference when an issue is there

Printer
Publisher details
Issues foundNo physical printer is installed
No physical printer is installed
A physical or network printer needs to be installed.
Detected
Add a printer
Not run

Hardware changes might not have been detected
Hardware changes might not have been detected

Detected
Scan for recent hardware changes
Not run

Potential issues that were checkedThe Print Spooler service is experiencing problems
The Print Spooler service is experiencing problems
Errors in the Print Spooler service might interrupt printing.
Issue not present
Print Spooler service isn't running
Print Spooler service isn't running
When the Print Spooler service isn't running, you may not be able to install printers, connect to a network printer, or print to a printer.
Issue not present
Issues found
Detection details
No physical printer is installedDetected
A physical or network printer needs to be installed.
Add a printerNot run
Using the Add Printers Wizard to install a phyical or network printer may allow you to print.

Hardware changes might not have been detectedDetected
Scan for recent hardware changesNot run
Scanning might find new devices attached to your computer and install them.

Potential issues that were checked
Detection details
The Print Spooler service is experiencing problemsIssue not present
Errors in the Print Spooler service might interrupt printing.

Print Spooler service isn't runningIssue not present
When the Print Spooler service isn't running, you may not be able to install printers, connect to a network printer, or print to a printer.

Detection details

Collection informationComputer Name: CQ61212TUX64Windows Version:6.1
Architecture:amd64
Time:Saturday, April 24, 2010 1:15:59 PM

Publisher details

Hardware and DevicesUse hardware and access devices connected to your computer.Package Version:1.1
Publisher:Microsoft Windows
Windows Network DiagnosticsDetects problems with network connectivity.Package Version:1.0
PrinterTroubleshoot problems preventing printing from completing.Package Version:1.0
PrinterTroubleshoot problems preventing printing from completing.Package Version:1.0
Publisher:Microsoft Corporation

I am also wondering if you run your normal windows 7 troubleshooter see what results that application gives and compare those with Fix it tool.let me know if its still an unsolved error for you.
regards
jeffreyobrien

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I,m bad luck incorporated. It suggested issues which I did not have, or had not experienced, I admit to having customised my OS, heavily, to my own personal satisfaction. One of the problems I found with the program, was that it made suggestions to "uncustomise" the OS back to what Microsoft considered the optimum.This was not , unfortunately, acceptable to me, so I uninstalled it again. Waste of space for me, but could be useful for those with real, genuine problems

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you, davehc. If you had to hunt all over the place for customized drivers, this program could actually remove them, rendering your system worse off. So with this in mind, creating a restore point prior to running this program is critical, especially being that it's a beta product. That's precisely why I don't like to tryout beta products such as this on my desktop. It's best to keep an older computer on hand to use these products.

Ask a Question