Microsoft rolls out a way to get free MS Office software or Xbox 360 games

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I joined about a year ago and they actually did send me office 2010 for free after I completed a survey that took almost an hour.

Reaction score
TM: I signed up today and am hoping for a invite from MS. Which version of Office 2010 did they give you ? From what their post says you can either let them install a software component or do survey's on Windows 7 or 8 for 4 month's, so they can make improvements in future releases. I recently did one for Symantec a few month's back on ways to improve the NIS, 360 & Antivirus products. It was pretty good. About a 40-45 phone interview/survey with a live person. They gave me either a $600. or $75. pre-paid credit card and then today I received a Norton bag, pen and thank you card in the mail. The stuff from today was unexpected and the canvas bag will come in handy.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Office Professional 2010 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Publisher, Outlook, & OneNote). I've never even installed it, I still use my Office Pro 2007.

It comes in special packaging that says "Not For Resale" so legally it is only for the recipient, it's a violation of the agreement to sell it (maybe even to give it away, I can't remember now).

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Was a lot of do you use a computer at home? at work? Do you use this product or that product? rate it. Have you heard of this or that? Do you have a smartphone? yada yada.

I just had another survey last week, 5 minutes or less (once you join they send out smaller ones periodically), and they asked if I heard about Microsoft Office 365. Apparently they started it about 8 months ago; seems to be a cloud-type version. You don't buy anything up front but you pay a monthly subscription and the apps and your data are available on multiple devices you may use, laptop, desktop, mobile phone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Clifford: The way the blog post and numerous articles currently talking about it, make's it sound like they want our input on how to improve future Windows releases. I have a feeling in a way this current one is to make sure Windows 8, isn't another ME/Vista in everyone's eye's.For instance, if you're a gamer or multimedia enthusiast (i/e: WMC, WMP, videos,etc). You're better of staying with 7. WMC & WMP are the W7 version's. dx get a s.p. update to 11.1. No Start Menu on the Desktop UI. They're going to lose alot of customer's over those thing's. For example Windows 8 Consumer Preview has Media Center, yet, it's so hidden you wouldn't know it. I accidently found it doing a search for Media Player. After 2 minutes WMC popped up in the results. However, if you open Explorer in the desktop, click C:\ Program Files or Program Files (x86), it's not listed anywhere. WMP is. They did alot of little stupid mistakes. To get into Safe Mode, you can't press F8 during startup. You have to do it through an Administrative Command Prompt. I believe, once 8 comes out, 7 will become the new XP in terms of customer approvals and staying put/rolling back. 8 is really only a tablet os. If you don't have a touch-screen, there's too many extra unnecessary steps to get things done, which actually decreases productivity. Stardock's Start8 really doesn't give you the Strat Menu > All Programs back. ViStart comes up as a trojan, if you do a Safe Mode or Boot-time virus scan Heck, there are alot of people out there that don't realize that they need to update there software and driver's or use an antivirus program. Thus, they probably don't know how to find the programs or do a search either.That's probably between 40-50% of the pc user's out there.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As I read it in the link, you can still join the community blog, but the project of free software has stopped. They have enough participants.

Reaction score
Thanks T.M. I'm still on 2007 Home & Student. Was going to upgrade to 2010 a few month's back. Then by the time I had the money for it, news about Office 15 being in private beta testers hands came out. Thus I stayed put., too. Apparently they're killing support for it in 6 months.
Office Professional 2010 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Publisher, Outlook, & OneNote). I've never even installed it, I still use my Office Pro 2007.

It comes in special packaging that says "Not For Resale" so legally it is only for the recipient, it's a violation of the agreement to sell it (maybe even to give it away, I can't remember now).

Ask a Question