Members list

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
On another forum I belong to, run by a highly respected operator, there is no "members" list. This has, subsequently, been carried over to it's sister Windows 8 forum. I queried this a while ago, out of curiosity.
The answer was that it was prohibited, as it had resulted in complaints from members regarding an influx of spam.
I did not argue, in view of the obviously greater experience and knowledge of the administrator, of his own forum.
But, recently, I had a wish to access something concerning a member, on the Windows 8 forum, and was , of course, unable to do so.
Again curiosity, does anyone have any knowledge or views of problems concerning an open members list? I am regularly on several, including this one, where I have not.
During the years I have been on quite a few - all have a members list without, apparently, complaints or problems?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well it's not like the users email is public so any spam would have to be sent through the messaging system and they could easily put the user on ignore so, I would say the reason given is much-ado-about-nothing.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
" I would say the reason given is much-ado-about-nothing"

Could'nt agree more. I suspect some other reason for it - it doesnt really make much sense.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've never heard of a problem resulting from having a member list - it's quite a handy way to look up members :). Having public e-mail/contact details can cause a spam problem, but having a simple list of usernames (with selective contact methods for members) should be ok.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Glad to hear that Ian. Coming from the Administrator, that confirms my view

Ask a Question