heads-up members MS Patch Tuesday heads-up

Reaction score
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]IT News Happening Now[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]MS Patch Tuesday heads-up: 2 critical bulletins but no SharePoint fix[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Microsoft plans to ship two bulletins next Tuesday to fix multiple remote code execution vulnerabilities in Windows, Microsoft Office and Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]READ FULL STORY[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FCC offers new broadband plan; avoids all-or-nothing approach[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is Microsoft using Internet Explorer 9 to force upgrades from XP?[/FONT]
I was talking to a friend here at Microsoft this morning and he was almost telling me that IE9 will be our new x64 bit browser but there also could be some effort to extend support for xp as well they have some other ideas that will most probably be made public next week tuesday EST.

Regards to all
jeffreyobrien

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I certainly hope that IE9 will not be available to XP. Why? First, I have an XP Pro install myself, as well as a Win 2K install. I have nothing against the OS's, I use them myself. But we cannot move forward by making everything work with, or being compatible with, XP. I realize that XP still holds a commanding 60+% market share, but XP is fading. The systems that XP runs on, are for the most part, outdated, redundant, behind the times, antiquated, and overall, lack the modern technology to meet the future's needs. Pentium 4 processors & 40GB hard drives, along with all it's other slow hardware, cannot possibly lead the way for the next generation of Windows to glory. Microsoft should keep their promise to support XP until April 2014, then drop it like a hot coal. This "effort" to extend support for XP is a waste of time, and if a large mass does show up, it will probably consist of mostly organized protesters, who appear at events all over the world. That being out of the way, IE9 should be for Windows 7 forward, although I've read that it will be Vista SP2 forward. Modern computers needs a modern browser, and IE9 should be reserved for them, and not make it backwards compatible with XP. 2014 is four years away, and by that time, most of the computers that are currently running XP will be in the dumpster anyway. So for the few that are still clinging to life by then, Vista SP2 will look good on them. I know, because it's installed on my laptop that was built to run XP. It does have a install of 7 on it, but Vista looks better, although it's a little heavy. By then, you probably can get the OS for next to nothing. I realize that my remarks sound a little harsh, but the truth is, and cannot be denied, we cannot move forward by embracing the past. That's the way that life works, and computing is no exception to that.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think you will get some arguments in the thread, catilley, but none from me. You have said it all!

Reaction score
I certainly hope that IE9 will not be available to XP. Why? First, I have an XP Pro install myself, as well as a Win 2K install. I have nothing against the OS's, I use them myself. But we cannot move forward by making everything work with, or being compatible with, XP. I realize that XP still holds a commanding 60+% market share, but XP is fading. The systems that XP runs on, are for the most part, outdated, redundant, behind the times, antiquated, and overall, lack the modern technology to meet the future's needs. Pentium 4 processors & 40GB hard drives, along with all it's other slow hardware, cannot possibly lead the way for the next generation of Windows to glory. Microsoft should keep their promise to support XP until April 2014, then drop it like a hot coal. This "effort" to extend support for XP is a waste of time, and if a large mass does show up, it will probably consist of mostly organized protesters, who appear at events all over the world. That being out of the way, IE9 should be for Windows 7 forward, although I've read that it will be Vista SP2 forward. Modern computers needs a modern browser, and IE9 should be reserved for them, and not make it backwards compatible with XP. 2014 is four years away, and by that time, most of the computers that are currently running XP will be in the dumpster anyway. So for the few that are still clinging to life by then, Vista SP2 will look good on them. I know, because it's installed on my laptop that was built to run XP. It does have a install of 7 on it, but Vista looks better, although it's a little heavy. By then, you probably can get the OS for next to nothing. I realize that my remarks sound a little harsh, but the truth is, and cannot be denied, we cannot move forward by embracing the past. That's the way that life works, and computing is no exception to that.
Catilley,
you have made an upstanding argument with "'I realize that my remarks sound a little harsh, but the truth is, and cannot be denied, we cannot move forward by embracing the past. That's the way that life works, and computing is no exception to that.

I fully agree with you especially with IE9,the browser has many new Demos etc some very good in my view Microsoft seem to be doing another Google with maps but it is faster than any other browser I have used and this graph does show that somethings definately going on here towards our embracing the past even IE9 is like slower with until tuesday a 'SECURITY RISK''so come on M$

IE Market Share Falls Below 60%
According to Net Applications, Internet Explorer's market share in April was 59.95%, an F+ in total world browser domination. The last time it was that low was in 1999 when Microsoft's latest and greatest browser offering was IE4. What gives?
In a word: Chrome. Google's scrappy browser continued to climb in market share last month, and it alone has gained much of the 9% IE has forfeited since the introduction of IE8 in March of last year. (Chrome's also the reason Firefox might forever languish below 25%—it had 24.59% market share last month).
Microsoft's counting on Internet Explorer 9, their sleek, HTML 5-friendly browser due out later this year, to reinvigorate interest, but with Chrome continuing to gain steam and Firefox's followers remaining loyal as ever, stopping IE's downward slide might be an uphill battle. [Conveivably Tech via Slashdot]

Send an email to Kyle VanHemert, the author of this post, at (e-mail address removed).

thank you catilley for an excellent informative post
regards
jeffreyobrien

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
IE usage has dropped badly, I've realized that, but didn't know it was this low. Microsoft can turn this around a little, but as to how much, it's only a guess. Many of IE's former users have found other homes, and few are likely to return. As long as ActiveX is a part of IE, they'll struggle. But one thing for sure, Microsoft OS base is over 90% of the market. At one time, Microsoft fought like hell for their browser market share (remember the war with Netscape?). I don't know what's going on now. But one thing you can rest assured of, Microsoft has something up their sleeve. I would be surprised with all the progress and successful products launched last year (Windows 7, MSE, Bing), that they are going to just lay down and not put up a fight.

Reaction score
catilley,
great post as I said my friend wouldn't go public with anything before tuesday for reasons that are obvious,I am led to believe that Microsoft has something up their sleeve. catilley with all the progress and successful products launched last year (Windows 7, MSE, Bing),microsoft won't Just give up even with the lowest figures since 1999 with yes IE4,now they are actually spending zillions on IE9 which even if they remove the Active X controls & replace some java script they are going to hopefully regain control of the market,how I just don't have this answer probably with win 8 we will see IE9,to be honest I am using both IE9 & Fire Fox which gives me peace of mind.I don't like what appears to be the future however I will wait with open arms (LOL) I Just want Microsoft to get their act together like we all know can happen WHEN we all are in same boat catilley up stream mate Without any Paddle.
have a great weekend tomorrow
regards
jeffreyobrien

Reaction score
catilley,
great post as I said my friend wouldn't go public with anything before tuesday for reasons that are obvious,I am led to believe that Microsoft has something up their sleeve. catilley with all the progress and successful products launched last year (Windows 7, MSE, Bing),microsoft won't Just give up even with the lowest figures since 1999 with yes IE4,now they are actually spending zillions on IE9 which even if they remove the Active X controls & replace some java script they are going to hopefully regain control of the market,how I just don't have this answer probably with win 8 we will see IE9,to be honest I am using both IE9 & Fire Fox which gives me peace of mind.I don't like what appears to be the future however I will wait with open arms (LOL) I Just want Microsoft to get their act together like we all know can happen WHEN we all are in same boat catilley up stream mate Without any Paddle.
have a great weekend tomorrow
regards
jeffreyobrien
LATEST NEWS dated 7/5/2010
Is Microsoft using Internet Explorer 9 as a tool for force users to upgrade from Windows XP?
Internet Explorer 9 will not be supported by Windows XP. Period. Microsoft’s web technical evangelist Giorgio Sardo, speaking at the Web 2.0 Expo, has confirmed this. The reason given is that HTML5 and hardware acceleration require a modern OS.
Note: Interestingly, while XP users won’t be able to benefit from IE9, pirates will, as there will be no validation required.
But is this nothing more than a cunning ploy to make users upgrade the OS?
Let’s consider the evidence.
First, XP has a massive, entrenched following. It’s usage share is at 63.4%, while Vista holds a market share of 15.6% and Windows 7 an impressive 11.7%. Many XP users don’t see the need to upgrade because the OS does for them everything they need it to do. So it is in Microsoft’s best interests to come up with reasons for people to upgrade.
The there are the browser stats. Internet Explorer 6 has a greater market share (17.6%) than Firefox 3.6 (15.3%). Internet Explorer 8 enjoys an usage share of 24.6% while Internet Explorer 7 continues to hold its own with 12.5%.
What about other browser vendors, such as Opera, Mozilla and Google. Are these players abandoning XP? No. Here’s what Google Chrome developer Alex Russell had to say:
“I recognize Opera and Mozilla and on Chrome we’re all doing hardware acceleration. And, all of us are doing it on XP. What you’re describing is a situation where people are less behind. The way is to not leave users behind.”
So, Microsoft needs a stick to lever users away from XP. And a new, incompatible browser might just be the long reach stick that Microsoft needs to get those XP stalwarts upgrading …
… or perhaps not … After all, upgrading to a different browser might be a whole lot easier (and cheaper) than upgrading the entire OS. After all, if Chrome, Firefox and Opera are all going to be able to do everything (or most) of that Internet Explorer 9 can do without having to upgrade the OS, then Microsoft’s offering no longer seems like a good deal.
Would YOU upgrade your OS to get IE9?

Adrian Kingsley-Hughes is an internationally published technology author who has devoted over a decade to helping users get the most from technology.

Reaction score
It not forcing users to upgrade. It's called dropping new development for XP and developing a browser for more current operating systems. Why waste time on new development for a dying OS that will not have any support in the near future.

To me this would be raising a flower and then chopping it down before it blossoms.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm actually shocked that IE6 is in front of FF 3.6, given it's lack of security. Really, I know of no one who uses it, and I've read that Google was even going to dump the browser. I do have it on Win 2K, but when using that OS (very seldom), I use FF. There was something that I read recently regarding the official "burial" of IE6, it may have been tied in with the Google deal. IE6 did ship with XP Pro, but I upgraded it to IE7, IE8 doesn't run good on XP. It's hard to believe that 17.6% of Windows users are that far behind the times, that amounts to almost one-fifth of Windows users. But the point of the article is correct, somehow, someway, Microsoft has to come up with a way to convince users to dump XP. Like I previously stated, Microsoft should keep their word and support XP until whatever date in April 2014. But support and optional programs are two separate issues. Support should of course include security updates & patches. But they should slide a date in there that will stop new installs of XP from receiving such programs as MSE, WMP 11, and Windows Live programs. That in itself would force users to upgrade. XP has been around since 2001. Vista with no SP has already been dropped, and they were five years apart. Why must we continue to cater to XP users, yet the first generation Vista users w/no SP have already been dumped. I just can't wait until April, 2014 gets here, and the babying of XP will be over. Then, we may finally move forward for good.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
In a previous, but similar thread, I mentioned that with the constant introduction of betas, by Chrome and, in particular, Firefox. Statistics can be misleading. Firefox also have, recently, begun changing there homepage "picture" from time to time.
As all the browsers are free, the only way statiistics can be ascertained, is through requests on the pages, or customer survey. IE/Microsoft, does itself a diservice by not promoting their product by either means.
I would not dare to dispute the excellent article and graph reproduced by Jeffrey, but would suggest that,by another means of calculating, the figures could be manipulated to present quite a different picture.
I browsed to get some more lucid explanation and support for my argument. The main source was productive enough. Keep in mind, though, that wikipedia is also sunscribed to by independants, and is not the overiding authority in its presented opinions.
Read in particular, the "underestimation" para.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

Reaction score
In a previous, but similar thread, I mentioned that with the constant introduction of betas, by Chrome and, in particular, Fire fox. Statistics can be misleading. Fire fox also have, recently, begun changing there homepage "picture" from time to time.
As all the browsers are free, the only way statistics can be ascertained, is through requests on the pages, or customer survey. IE/Microsoft, does itself a disservice by not promoting their product by either means.
I would not dare to dispute the excellent article and graph reproduced by Jeffrey, but would suggest that,by another means of calculating, the figures could be manipulated to present quite a different picture.
I browsed to get some more lucid explanation and support for my argument. The main source was productive enough. Keep in mind, though, that wikipedia is also subscribed to by independents, and is not the overriding authority in its presented opinions.
Read in particular, the "underestimation" para.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers
davehc,
thanks for pointing this out,too true as you have mentioned,I have read that wikipedia article and another tech net article,Measuring browser usage in the number of requests (page hits) made by each user agent can be misleading.if you read between the lines,Microsoft & Goggle,Fire fox all of the browser makers are facing the future,Mobile phones and internet HDMI Digital 3D TV's are all at present waiting for THE BROWSER so the article you have directed me too and thank you has now cleared the way a little as we are today IT users knowing that the average computer is today a mobile phone,HDMI internet 3D TV's,Ipods,Wiis,just about all the computer market is morphing into what our kids will be using in say 2020.

I also point out that with the many browser's out there to use can alter any website as pointed out in the Microsoft user-agent (user agent sniffing) refers to the practice of websites showing different content when viewed with a certain user agent. On the Internet, this will result in a different site being shown when browsing the page with a specific browser.

An infamous example of this is Microsoft Exchange Server 2003's Outlook Web Access feature. When viewed with Internet Explorer, more functionality is displayed compared to the same page in any other browser.[citation needed] User agent sniffing is mostly considered poor practice, since it encourages browser-specific design and penalizes new browsers with unrecognized user agent identifications. Instead, developers[who?] recommend to create HTML markup that is standard, allowing correct rendering in as many browsers as possible, and to test for specific browser features rather than particular browser versions or brands.[4]

Websites specifically targeted toward mobile phones, like NTT DoCoMo's I-Mode or Vodafone's Vodafone Live! portals, often rely heavily on user agent sniffing, since mobile browsers often differ greatly from each other. Many developments in mobile browsing have been made in the last few years.

thanks davehc for you very interesting post

respectfully
jeffreyobrien

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Jeffrey showed me the originals last night, I can't say that the figures are totally wrong, but I can say that they're a little off. I've been a member of several forums, way before 7 was even a thought in Bill Gates's mind. IE6 does not have that large of a following (nearly one fifth of Windows users?). A journalist can manipulate things and charts around to make the world see things as it is in his/her mind. No one can convince me that IE6 has a larger following than Firefox does. I have an office suite on this computer and a printer, I suppose that if I wanted to mislead the world, I could create graphs and charts of my own, making whoever is my favorite (or better yet, who's paying me off) the #1 browser, or whatever other product we're discussing. Having been a operations manager for over 10 years for bakery product sales (prior to my becoming disabled) there were times that sales figures had to be manipulated "to make things look good", to my superiors, and to my employer. This journalist has his point to prove, and will do whatever is necessary to prove it. That being said, his agenda suggests that Microsoft is about to stick the shaft to XP users, while the opposite is true. XP has been, and by the time it's over, will have been the longest supported OS in the history of computing. We have to move forward, and can't allow XP, or even Vista, hold us back. I look forward to challenge, XP doesn't provide that anymore, and really hasn't for the last four to five years. I used it as my main OS after Vista was introduced, not because I had to, but because Vista had such negative publicity, and I didn't feel the need to change. But after eight years of using XP Pro, I was ready for a change. And I was rewarded greatly for moving forward. Using a computer is now challenging again, and not the same old thing over and over again. Not to mention the many times my computer was infected the last year or so of using XP. I say that it's time to move forward, and not stay stuck in the past. I believe that this journalist is very stuck in the past, because I just don't believe his numbers are accurate. Most likely, he'll be one of those who will push for an extension of support for XP, as this was mentioned earlier in the thread. It won't happen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
catilley,
I myself worked with NSW Government railways as an assistant station master for 26 years until I was disabled in famous Granville disaster,I also use to see figures and graphs manipulated by the NSW Government to show either the positives or negatives of ticket sales etc which in my original thread all information and graphs were from reliable zdnet and tech net websites.below is the author's name and email address as for the actual figures I myself do not believe them as seen by the Microsoft linked tech net site and information from Mary Jo Foley: Microsoft members she has over 20 years experience in dealing with Microsoft I am 99% convinced that the figures are made to look good for Marketing strategies all of which we will see the outcome very soon .

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft

Yesterdays graphs and all information copy & paste from the Editorial Assistant please feel free to email him anytime about this thread and he will give you his source of which is (e-mail address removed)

Editorial Assistant:
Kyle VanHemert
(e-mail address removed)

(e-mail address removed)

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Jeffrey, you really stay on top of things, I see. I thought that I read the latest internet news most of the time, you have me beat. Mary Jo Foley has been around for awhile, in fact I remember when she was blacklisted for some time. Surprisingly, she got her foot in the door again. Most who has crossed Microsoft receives no second chance, but she did. She exposed all of the security flaws in Win 2K years ago, there were many, according to her. But 20,000 of them? I don't know about that. I used it for almost two years prior to XP Pro, never was infected once.

Reaction score
Catilley,
I try very hard to keep track of what Microsoft are doing mainly because in last 15 years computers have become my Life totally being vision Impaired (Blind) has caused me to rely somewhat on my computers for all the Normal things that we all take for granted,I talk to my computers and they respond very well especially now in win 7.

My other secret mate is that all the newsletters etc from tech net,zdnet,Microsoft all arrive just 1 day earlier than yourself for obvious reasons mate we are a day ahead of you in USA LOL if only Australia would catch up to USA regarding technology and fast optic fiber connections we would be better off.

Mary Jo was blacklisted however she was right with the security flaws of which took a lot of guts to take them on, she did, she won in long run she earned the respect of Millions of Microsoft users especially Microsoft themselves,and so I trust what she comments about to be honest she is always 99% on the ball Like yourself catilley.

Have an awesome weekend catilley
regards
jeffreyobrien

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I agree with you, Jeffrey, Mary Jo is a reliable journalist. She must have really worked her butt off to get that second chance. However, I still believe that her numbers regarding Win 2K were off. In my two years of using it exclusively, I was never infected with a virus, nor did I have any other security related problems. The main reason that I moved to XP Pro so soon was the fact that Win 2K is a known RAM hog, the more you feed it, the more it uses. This laptop has 2GB RAM, on the same exact laptop with 1GB RAM, very little, if any, difference in startup times. So in 2001, I had XP Pro installed on my laptop (not this one) as a dual boot setup. I can't remember the model number, but it was a Dell laptop, with a Pentium III processor with 256MB RAM and 40GB hard drive. At that time, it was considered modern, as I bought it at an auction, this company went bankrupt, and I got it for $550. It was only two years old when I bought it, and very well taken care of, not a scratch on it. At that time, that was cheap for a business class laptop. This much I remember, the C640 took it's place, I had one of those, too. But it was plagued with heat problems. But back to Mary Jo, I have read thousands of her articles, and between her and Rafael (I forget the last name), they are two of the best in the business. I'll tell you another reliable one, Paul Thurrott. His predictions are nearly on the money, too. And you can learn from him, he really knows Windows, inside out. Nibiru turned me on to him. All right Jeffrey, have a good one!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Looks like we have a "Love Fest" going on here! LMAO! :knuddel::handkiss:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
My best guess at the reason there seems to be such a huge use if IE6 still is really because of businesses. What I mean is that untold hundreds or maybe thousands of businesses bought their computers with XP installed and beyond the critical updates for the core OS, all these computers are not being upgraded when it comes to browsers....as to why is anybodies guess as most of these same businesses allow the company computers to access the internet and having such a security hole of a browser running makes me shiver.

Ask a Question