Major problem

Reaction score
System has been kind of buggy for awhile now....yesterday I tried "speedupmypc.com" free from another forum I belong to. It messed up some stuff and I went to correct/fix said issue with a system restore....Total system failure....nothing would boot up. I've tried it all. I just had two blank screens and no activity on led hard drive light for 2 hours...nothing...tried safe mode...etc., etc., ....nothing. So I have just did a clean install of 7 home premium. Let the madness of reinstalling everything begin. I did loose every thing....

Reaction score
I tried SpeedUpMyPC a back in 2007. It absolutely stinks. TuneUp Utilities is about the best out of the for pay system utilities. I used to love using Iolo's System Mechanic, but the last couple of versions have one bad problem. When you or SM run the disk cleanup tool, it deletes all your Restore Points. Avanquest's FixIt Utilities and System Suite Professional have there own headaches and get ton's of bad reviews from users. TuneUp Utilities gives the end user choices over what it does or doesn't do It has a very cool feature where you creat a profile based on your type and speed on internet connection and it optimizes whatever browser you use based on that speed. Wopti Utilities was great too, but I believe they stopped selling it. I heard about that one in 2008 through CPU magazine. It's a shame the company that made it in China didn't keep it going. It was the best all around maintenance and tweaking package I've ever used.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I would highly recommend that everyone stay away from these "universal fix-it-all" types of software.

They'll cause nothing but problems in the long run. Contrary to what brkkab123 states, the internet tweakers these programs have are terrible! If you really want to tweak your internet connection, the two websites I would recommend would be www.speedguide.net and www.dslreports.com

Both sites have tools to test the connections and ping times, etc. SpeedGuide has the best tweak suggestions for Firefox and Windows 7 tweaks. DSLReports has the most accurate RWIN tester and such. Now this is just my humble opinion regarding these two sites, but most of the suggested tweaks and settings have never really failed me and the tweak did improve the connection.

AGAIN - STAY AWAY FROM THIS JUNK SOFTWARE!! IT DOES NOT WORK!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I use tune-up utilities and I like a lot of it's features such as registry tweaks to disable shadows etc and any suggestions you do not wish to implement you can simply tell it to hide permanently. Now I will somewhat agree with Nibs that it's suggestions for packetsize etc for the internet tweaks did not match those suggested by speedguide, which I trust, so I did hide those permanently. But on the whole it defrags my harddrive and does routine cleaning so I probably only run CCleaner once a month.

So I would have to agree with Brkkab that on the whole TuneUp Utilities is a nice little program. But it's like most any other tweaker program in the sense it can be detrimental if you let it do things you don't understand. Heck even CCleaner will wipe out last used files, etc if you don't know to uncheck that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Quick update: I have finished reinstalling the OS, drivers and pertinent software. What a long night, but she's lightning fast now. So for those of you who email me, please send me and email so I can re add you to my contacts list. Thanks

Ask a Question