Dual display, major problems

Reaction score
I am a rank amateur first of all. I just installed windows 7 on my laptop which is a dual core, 2gb memory compaq. It works flawlessly and I love it.

Well, I am nearing an upgrade to my pc, which is just a bit outdated. It's specs are as follows:

Pentium 4: 2.19 ghz

1.5 gb memory

I have two flatpanel monitors; one is a 22 inch acer and the other is a 19 inch hp.

I have a cheap custom video card, an nvidia geforce mx4000 and I'm not sure what the video driver on my motherboard is.

I have been running XP on this pc and I have had a dual monitor display for a long time. After I installed Windows 7, only one of my monitors is being detected. It is the one connected to my nvidia card.

I did a little research and found that pressing win + p should give me the option to connect a second monitor, but that did not work. In fact, I am only allowed a very conservative display resolution of 1280 x 1024.

In device manager there is a video controller that has no driver installed, and I have been unable to install a driver using windows 7 options.

I've included a couple of screenshots of my system which hopefully will allow you technical geniuses to help me out.

Also, my laptop will display two monitors just fine. I can connect the monitor that is not being detected on my pc and all the relevant options become available.

Help! Thanks!

Reaction score
Hey ya, i think it is due to the fact that the graphics card doesnt support a dual monitor, however i will have to look into this graphics card.

Reaction score
Yeah, that may be it, but I did run dual monitors on XP.

When I did the compatibility check for windows 7, it did not mention a problem with dual monitors. However, I recall doing a compatibility check for Vista a while back, and it said I would perhaps need to install an XP driver to display dual monitors.

Does that help in any way?

Reaction score
First you are using a generic graphics driver for your Nvida card. go to Nvida and download latest drivers for your video card. down load CPU-Z from download.com and look at the main board tab it should tell you what motherboard is please let me know the motherboard so I can help get you your drivers for onboard video. I have had three monitors using a video card and onboard but you need to have the right drivers installed in order to do it.

Reaction score
Ok, I didn't mention this but I already tried to install the correct Nvidia driver. It said that I was not running windows so the driver would not install. I could not find an appropriate driver anywhere else. I guess they did not release a vista driver for this video card.

Reaction score
Ok right click the install exe and check the combatibilty tab and run in Win xp service pack 3 settings try that then lets see

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Hey Ackms421. Unfortunately the MX 4000 series of graphics cards are not supported by NVIDIA's Windows 7 OR Windows Vista drivers. You would need a 5000 series or newer card in order to use a dual monitor setup in Windows 7 or Windows Vista.

Reaction score
Hey Ackms421. Unfortunately the MX 4000 series of graphics cards are not supported by NVIDIA's Windows 7 OR Windows Vista drivers. You would need a 5000 series or newer card in order to use a dual monitor setup in Windows 7 or Windows Vista.
If he uses the vid card for one monitor and configures the on board for secondary he can still use it.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
If he uses the vid card for one monitor and configures the on board for secondary he can still use it.
It's not recommended, and the drivers for the separate onboard graphics could create stability problems, especially if games are involved. This is partly why many integrated graphics automatically disable themselves when a GPU is installed into the system.

Reaction score
i have the same problem there is mal function on my video card which comes a long with the mother board >>> intel desk top board 915gev.
pls find solution >>>>> thanks a lot

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
The GMA 900 graphics in the 915 chipset do not support Aero Glass.

The only solution would be to check if your board uses AGP or PCIe as the graphics slot type, and to pick up an ultra cheap GPU to install into it.

Ask a Question