SOLVED Lost Icons on Desktop

Reaction score
I have just installed an extra 2gb of memory (DDR3 1333) but on switching computer on I have lost all my icons on the desktop. They are all covered up with the unknown file icon. Any help appreciated.

Reaction score
Do you mean the shortcuts or files on the desktop? :O

You can get program shortcuts back just by manually creating them from Program Files directories.

Like this:

Last edited:
Reaction score
These are all shortcuts but recreating them makes no difference. They are still overlaid by the unknown file icon

Reaction score
Hmm... That doesn't seem to be caused by adding more RAM. It's more like a software problem.

Try restoring your system to time before RAM change.

Start menu -> All Programs -> Accesories -> System Tools -> System Restore

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Do the shortcuts still work? Did the names stay in tact?

Reaction score
Restored system back 24 hrs to no avail. Still icons overlaid by unknown file icon. You can just see the edges of the correct icons behind the overlay. The only icons which display correctly are recycle bin, computer, control panel and a couple of directories. I have been running this system since w7 went live and this is the first problem.

Reaction score
Update: Lost icons are all shortcuts. They still perform the correct function but have the strange overlay and, yes, the names are still intact.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What software have you installed recently? Have you done any icon customization?

Can you take a screen capture and post a picture so we could see it?

Reaction score
Hi. No new software that I know of, although some updates were installed automatically. These can't be the problem though as I restored system to time before updates with no change.

screen.jpg

Screenshot of typical icons above as requested.

Ian

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you use any virus protection software? Sometimes viruses/malware like to substitute it's own icons for things. I really think it is something to do with your registry but it's always good to rule out a virus.

Also have you run any registry cleaners in the last few days? And if so did you create a registry backup first? It is possible restoring back one day is not enough. Lots of pointers to icons are stored in the registry and if this is messed up it could explain a lot.

Also if you change background themes it can change the icons as well, so have you changed themes?

If you have changed themes, try changing it back. If you haven't changed themes you might try changing to a new theme and then try changing back and see if it helps. If not I would suggest going back another day in your restore ... and another if 2 days doesn't help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Virus protection is MS Security Essentials, no reg cleaning done and only background change is picture, not complete theme. I have installed an all in one card reader but this had no software with it so should not change things. I will do system restore back further to see if this cures problem and report back.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I edited above while you were also typing ...
If you have changed themes, try changing it back. If you haven't changed themes you might try changing to a new theme and then try changing back and see if it helps. If not I would suggest going back another day in your restore ... and another if 2 days doesn't help.

Reaction score
Interesting!! Restored back to 11th July, prior to updating to W Live Mail Beta. Beta worked ok for three days but taking system back uninstalled beta and icons all returned. There may be a problem with Beta. My system will now, no doubt, reinstall ms updates from the 11th so I will leave thread open for 24 hrs in case to allow updates and then report back and close thread. Meanwhile many thanks to all helpers

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Beta worked ok for three days but taking system back uninstalled beta and icons all returned. There may be a problem with Beta.
Sounds like you installed the Windows 7 SP1 Beta package. If I were you I would leave it off until the final release comes out sometime this fall, probably late October.

That's the problem with anything "beta", still unresolved issues and potential problems.

Reaction score
Not W7 SP1 Beta installed but W Live mail beta. Removing it seems to have done the trick.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Sounds like you installed the Windows 7 SP1 Beta package. If I were you I would leave it off until the final release comes out sometime this fall, probably late October.

That's the problem with anything "beta", still unresolved issues and potential problems.
There is a "Windows Live Essentials" beta out there but trying to find any usefull info on it is like :banghead:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Not W7 SP1 Beta installed but W Live mail beta. Removing it seems to have done the trick.
Like I said, stay away from Beta stuff. Also, it's safer and best to access your email through the browser rather than using a stand-alone program.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Nibs, "Windows Live" is what they are calling Hotmail now, it is browser based.

Ask a Question