SOLVED Looking for good free firewall for Windows 7 x64

Reaction score
I uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2011 yesterda I replaced it with MSE. Does anyone on the forum know of a good free firewall for Windows 7 x64?
All recommendations are greatly appreciated.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am not an expert on firewalls, but what do you not like about the Windows 7 Firewall?
Alrenatively, if you use a router, it will also have a firewall, normally enabled by default

Reaction score
No router

I don't have a router. Windows Vista's and 7's firewalls are to hard to configure for what you get. XP's is a worthless one-way firewall. Vista and 7's are 2-way, but they aren't that way out the box and it's too complicated for most users to configure. I can give you an example on that also. When I was using Windows Vista Ultimate on my other pc, I subscribed to The Official: Windows Vista Magazine. They had a article on how to configure the Firewall through Administratve Firewall Settings. I followed ther guide on configuring it and I couldn't even use the internet after following the guide. That was one gripe every computer magazine had about Vista and 7's firewall. It should be 2 way out the box and you either approve or disapprove your software's internet access one time. You also make the firewall like other firewalls, as far as configuring it.
I am not an expert on firewalls, but what do you not like about the Windows 7 Firewall?
Alrenatively, if you use a router, it will also have a firewall, normally enabled by default

Reaction score
Downloaded it & install in a few minutes

Downloaded Zone Alarm free and install in a few minutes. Once again thanks TorrentG. P.S. No more BSOD since ditch NIS 2011 and re-updating Microsoft Optical Desktops mouse. Funny that it's keyboard driver and my ATI video drivers survived the repair install and the mouse driver didn't..
ZoneAlarm is top notch at doing what you're looking for. After it is all set for the software you open, it can easily be set to be perfectly quiet in that you don't even realize or know it's running.

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/anti-virus-spyware-free-download.htm

Reaction score
SOLVED

SOLVED. Thanks Again TorrentG
I uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2011 yesterda I replaced it with MSE. Does anyone on the forum know of a good free firewall for Windows 7 x64?
All recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question