Windows Freezes - Looking for new ideas

Reaction score
Hey all, first post.

I have tried pretty well everything. Power management, updates, RAM timings etc and nothing has worked. I have been trying to resolve this issue for more than a year and I am pretty frustrated.

In the last 15 days I have had 10 freezes which is pretty good.

Win7 64 bit SP1
Asus P6TD Deluxe
Intel 8Core i7 2.67 GHz
12 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Marvell Yukon 88E8056 Ethernet

Resetting the RAM timings, even though they were listed on the QVL as being different, created a much less stable system. This current config is as stable as it has been with 10 freezes in 15 days but it sure would be great to fix it once and for all.

I am holding off installing some new drives to see if I can get this OS to work properly on this MB. If I can't, I will just return to XP64.

HELP! Thanks!

Reaction score
Make sure your have all the latest drivers for your mobo installed including the chipset. If your still having issues then try updating your BIOS.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you're having issues with Windows 7.

What RAM DIMM timings are you using and what is the recommended settings for the RAM from the manufacturer? Does the mobo BIOS have SPD settings?

How big is your PSU for the system?

As BF suggested, check that your BIOS is current and up-to-date, some BIOS firmware were updated after the release of Windows 7 in Fall of 2009. Make sure that you have the latest Intel Chipset drivers and those are installed FIRST! Then do the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver installation.

Reaction score
Sorry, the freeze happened while I updated the initial post and I gave up and went to bed. It was 4 AM :)

All drivers are up to date including BIOS.
- I haven't checked the chipset drivers in a while, I will do that.
Power management is at High Performance
Network card is set to not turn off.

I've removed Flash, since it seemed to freeze when playing video.
Removed all virus protection, no change.

Out for the day, back very late and will try updating the Intel Chipset drivers, thanks for that!

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 2468 GB
Disk partition (C:) 35 GB Free (140 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
Disk partition (E:) 125 GB Free (466 GB Total)
Media drive (G:) CD/DVD
Media drive (H:) CD/DVD
Media drive (I:) CD/DVD
Media drive (J:) CD/DVD
Disk partition (K:) 54 GB Free (466 GB Total)
Disk partition (L:) 179 GB Free (1397 GB Total)

Graphics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Total available graphics memory 4095 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3583 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.7533
Primary monitor resolution 2048x1152
Secondary monitor resolution 2048x1152
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Network Adapter Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Notes

Reaction score
PS is 750 watts.

I will check into the timings and report back when I return from NYE tonight.

Not sure what SPD settings are, could you please clarify and I will check.

BIOS is up to date with the latest. Checked last night before posting here. I will get the chipset drivers and then the Intel Storage drivers in that order and report back.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Had a second and updated the Intel Chipset drivers. There was definitely a new version.

Reaction score
Went 6 days without a crash and then one happened today while I was getting up from the computer. The computer restarted, even though it is set not to restart on a bluescreen.

The "reliability" monitor has the same error as always, "Window was not properly shut down".

Seems like the new Intel drivers didn't fix it....

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Reaction score
Now that you have all the latest drivers updated and installed, now lets check your system for any malware, spyware and/or adware along with Virus's. These have been known to cause such problems.

Reaction score
This computer is malware and virus free unless it is something running behind M$.

This is my main work computer so I don't do anything risky on here, I can't afford the down time. No surfing of inappropriate content, no visiting risky sites without checking them first, no installing questionable software, no downloading things unless they are from Cnet and certified spyware free. There is limited software running on here anyway.

I also check the RUN registry entry regularly as well as other locations for unknown items.

If there is something on this computer, I have not been able to find it, nor has AVG. Thoughts on where to look for things that are suspicious?

Reaction score
Go back into your BIOS and reset everything to the default, save and exit out and restart.

Reaction score
During one of the types of crashes I have, the time resets to 2080 where I have to return the BIOS to the defaults, so this happens once every 5 freezes or so. Done quite recently.

The computer is very unstable without the defaults in the BIOS actually. I tried some of the overclocking ability as well as changing the RAM timings on one of my attempts to fix this problem and I didn't get past the OS title screen before the computer froze...

I have reset the BIOS again...

Thanks...any other ideas?

Reaction score
"The computer is very unstable without the defaults in the BIOS actually"...your quote...unstable without default...that's why I suggested going back to the defaults.

Is this a new build? If so I would start all over...a clean install of OS and then download all the current drivers from the vendors website, including chipset driver and the BIOS. Then rum MemTest86+...at least 5 passes to rule out bad memory.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Agreed but Windows shouldn't be unstable though when using the MBs built in overclocking ability. The system before this one (which I use for recreational computer usage) is running WinXP64 overclocked at +40% using the MBs built in configuration tool and it is completely stable with no issues ever.

This computer only works on the default and barely at that because the crashes/freezes still occur even when running the default.

There is definitely something amiss though the stability has certainly improved. This would indicate something not hardware related I would expect since if it was hardware, it would not improve over time.

I have bought all new drives for the computer and at some point in the next while (I have been putting it off for too long) I will be redoing everything. If I cannot resolve the freeze issue before then, I will be returning to XP64 and mothballing this copy of Win7 64. I have been waiting to do this for a year now thinking I could get Win7 to work. I like it, but it just isn't stable enough to be a working production machine though one crash every week is much more acceptable than several a day.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
If you're getting blue screens, try posting your mini-dumps in the "Crashes, BSOD's and Debugging" section of the forum. Elmer or someone else may be able to connect a particular driver to the problem.
Other things that come to mind are overheating and a bad memory stick as BF suggested.

Reaction score
Hi Yodap,

There is no blue screen, the system just shuts down and does not post any information to the logs or reports. All it says is "Windows was not properly shut down".

Overheating is not an issue as the room the box is kept in is at 5 to 10 C.

RAM I have tested, no issues. I have removed sticks, moved sticks around put in other RAM etc. nothing has resolved the issue.

I wish there was something written in the logs! That would make this much easier. The last restart (which was not a blue screen, the system is set to not restart on blue screens) produced this in the logs:

The previous system shutdown at 6:26:00 PM on ‎1/‎5/‎2012 was unexpected.

Reaction score
Back in April I was working with another forum trying to resolve this and was running in Safe Mode to see if I could get it to crash and I did and it produced the following error. Now, this was in April so it might not be the same issue as I am having now but...

Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service TermService with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{F9A874B6-F8A8-4D73-B5A8-AB610816828B}

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AsIO
Avgldx64
Avgmfx64
discache
ElbyCDIO
spldr
Wanarpv6

Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> was unavailable to handle a notification event.

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{9E175B6D-F52A-11D8-B9A5-505054503030}

The HomeGroup Provider service depends on the Function Discovery Provider Host service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service fdPHost with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{145B4335-FE2A-4927-A040-7C35AD3180EF}

DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service fdPHost with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{D3DCB472-7261-43CE-924B-0704BD730D5F}

Reaction score
Is all the hardware on the current system running 7 from the old system running XP. If so that could indeed be your hardware issue...did you run MS upgrade advisor before installing 7. It will tell you what hardware/software that will need to be updated/upgraded or just not compatible with 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor

Reaction score
Also, something I don't see in your specs is the mention of the PSU, that I can find. According to Nvidia the minimum wattage on the list is a 600 watt PSU.

On the spec sheet of a 9800GT it list a minimum of 400 watt PSU with 2 x 6 pin power connectors. Make sure those connections are fully seated.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9800gt_us.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
This system was built to run Win7 64 and has had no other OS installed.

It was built from scratch using parts recommended by a local well known computer parts wholesaler and I even got them to install the OS (which I don't normally do) so they could check all compatibility issues before shipping it to me.

When the system first got here, it worked without issue for several months and only began the freezing once I started updating the OS.

Reaction score
PSU is a 750W. I found the old invoice, here is the specs.

Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 LGA1366 3PCI-E16 PCI-E4 2PCI CrossFire SLI SATA2 Motherboard
Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1600C9 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Core i7 Memory Kit x2
Samsung SH-S223B/BEBE 22X DVD+-RW SATA DVD Writer Black OEM
Western Digital Velociraptor WD1500HLFS 150GB SATA 10000RPM 5.5MS 16MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM
Cooler Master Haf 932 Full Tower Black EATX Case 6X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PSU USB eSATA 1394 Audio
Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan
Samsung SyncMaster 2343BWX 23IN Widescreen LCD Monitor 2048X1152 5ms 20000:1DC 16:9 VGA DVI-D 1080P x2
Noctua NH-U12P SE2 LGA775/1156/1366 AM2/AM3 I7/I5/PHENOM Heatpipe Cooler W/ 2XNH-P12 120MM Fans
XFX GeForce 9800GT 600MHZ 512MB 1.8GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card

Ask a Question