SOLVED logging to administrator in windows 7 laptop

Reaction score
I have a HP laptop dv6 entertainment series wit hwindows 7home premium. While installing some software drivers (bluetooth) , it was telling me to install with administrator account. I have 2 profiles. One is called Admin. And the other is called user. Admin is with admin priviledges and password protected. The other is user which all my family members use. Even as an admin, i was asked to install as administrator an.
My question, how do i login as an administrator?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
User account control can still affect installs even if you are logged in as an Administrator because any UAC setting but off causes a physical request for admin authorization. Depending how the program is coded this can cause a failure if the installer calls sub-programs.

So it sounds like what they want you to do is run the installer "as an administrator". To do that, open Windows explorer and locate the program executable (example: Setup.exe) and right-click. Choose "Run as an administrator". A screen will pop up requesting immediate authorization. By doing this you give administrator rights to the installer and anything it chooses to run under it's install umbrella. Only do this to a program you are sure is not malicious; if it was downloaded from the internet then run a virus scan on the installer before you run it.
RunAsAdminOneTime.jpg

Reaction score
Recover space on my laptop.

My dear friend , i already did that. and as i told you that i was logged in from my admin profile which has administrator rights.
anyways, leave this problem aside. i have another problem.
I formatted my laptop as i was not able to do a factory reset. i installed new win 7 Home premium SP1 from the links provided in this forums. Activated the windows with my OEM key via telephone.
now i have a question.
when i manage my disk. i can see 5 partitions.
1. (C:\) (300gb)Simple, Dynamic, NTFS (i installed windows here)
2. Data1 (f:\) (275gb) Simple, Dynamic, NTFS (this is where my data lies)
3. HP_TOOLS (G:\) (103MB)Simple, Dynamic, fat32 (What should i do with this partition)
4. Recovery (D:\) (18gb) Simple, Dynamic, NTFS (This was my recovery partition which did not work for me during recovery to factory state, as i had partitioned my HDD)
5. system : (199mb) Simple, Dynamic, NTFS (This partition does not have a partition alphabet name)

I am using only c:\ and d:\, Should i format the other 3 drives no. 3, 4, and 5 and use that space for my system backup. presently my wndows backup is on d:\
regards
Piu

User account control can still affect installs even if you are logged in as an Administrator because any UAC setting but off causes a physical request for admin authorization. Depending how the program is coded this can cause a failure if the installer calls sub-programs.

So it sounds like what they want you to do is run the installer "as an administrator". To do that, open Windows explorer and locate the program executable (example: Setup.exe) and right-click. Choose "Run as an administrator". A screen will pop up requesting immediate authorization. By doing this you give administrator rights to the installer and anything it chooses to run under it's install umbrella. Only do this to a program you are sure is not malicious; if it was downloaded from the internet then run a virus scan on the installer before you run it.
View attachment 4787

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If there is nothing on them or they don't work then I would drop HP_Tools and Recovery partitions and then expand the data partition to use their free space.

The system partition may be used by the windows install or it may have just been used by your old install; I can't be sure. So if you drop it and then your system won't boot just be aware you will need to put in the W7 DVD to repair. Since it is at the front of the drive you would need a different partition program to swallow it into C: anyway (windows disk management can only expand to areas just to the right of the current partition) so I would just leave it.

Back to your first issue. So you are saying if you are logged on as an administrator and you also right-click and use "run as administrator" you still get an error installing the driver?

Last edited:
Reaction score
if its just you using it, then your the administrator. mine show like it has 2 accounts, one is administrator micheal pc and the other micheal pc. i dont have like what could be called a guest account, i dont let others use my laptop. wouldnt want somebody else using it to have it crash and they might not let me know what they did or lie on what they did to crash it.

Reaction score
the 1st issues first.
you are right, i am the administrator of my laptop, i log in with ADMIN account when i want to install any softwares, this profile is password protected, then i have 1 user account that has no password and i use it to browse and download files. so even if there is a virus activity, i think that i will be safe.
While installing BlueTooth drivers as instructed by HP onsite helpdesk. i got an error that i need to install as an administrator which i was logged in as, but did not work. even the helpdesk was not able to tell me how to log in as an administrator. so i jsut thought if i may ask in this forum if there is any way of logging in as administrator.
when i installed my windows and tried to give a name "Administrator" to my profile. it tells me that the user already Exist. so where is that profile lost.
part 2 of the question, thanks for the reply. now i can use the free space. i can leave the system folder and use the other 2 folders for my backups.

If there is nothing on them or they don't work then I would drop HP_Tools and Recovery partitions and then expand the data partition to use their free space.

The system partition may be used by the windows install or it may have just been used by your old install; I can't be sure. So if you drop it and then your system won't boot just be aware you will need to put in the W7 DVD to repair. Since it is at the front of the drive you would need a different partition program to swallow it into C: anyway (windows disk management can only expand to areas just to the right of the current partition) so I would just leave it.

Back to your first issue. So you are saying if you are logged on as an administrator and you also right-click and use "run as administrator" you still get an error installing the driver?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, technically there is an account called "Administrator" which is set up as a non-console account (ie hidden from physical logon). It can be made visible but it isn't really meant to be. Basically on install all the windows system folders are assigned with "Administrator" as the owner to help limit even your Admin accounts.

Assigning system folders to "Administrator" helps protect the OS slightly, because even though your average user is probably logged on as an administrator (not the administrator account, just an account with administrator privileges) they shouldn't really be messing with moving/deleting OS files in Windows Explorer. Ownership was something originally controlled by Network and database administrators and is not something your average W7 user would need to know.

But anyway, you never specifically stated that you have right-clicked on the driver installation program and chosen "run as an administrator". As I have said, just being logged on as an administrator may not be enough. Have you actually right-clicked on the driver installation program and selected "Run as an administrator"? If so then take a screenshot of your error(s) and post it please.

Reaction score
i know what your looking for, the screen where you can change the name, has example mary's kitchen. its in system property.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Actually m1r2hud, if you change the name assigned to a userid, it never really changes anything important, it merely adds an alias that the user interface displays. Example, if you create an account called TEST then folders for my documents, my pictures, etc will all be created under C:\users\TEST. If at some point you then change the name TEST to Tom, then on the logon screen they will see Tom but all the files are still stored under C:\users\TEST.

The only way to truly create a new userid with matching user folders is to add it, not change an existing one.

There is no way he needs to be logged in as the name ADMINISTRATOR anyway, nobody designs their drivers to only install with a certain user name, they simply mean an ID with administrator privileges.

Reaction score
I knew it that Microsoft gives us a package of sandwhich wrapped in cling film. we cant eat it without opening the film. and it looks good in it.. LOL
so the reply is that Administrator Exists (AKA GOD) but we cannot log into it (we cannot see it) so with this i close my thread. the replies are satisfactory.
regarding the snapshot of the error, i cannot give you as i have already formatted the laptop and installed windows again. Thanks for sharing your knowledge my friends.

Yes, technically there is an account called "Administrator" which is set up as a non-console account (ie hidden from physical logon). It can be made visible but it isn't really meant to be. Basically on install all the windows system folders are assigned with "Administrator" as the owner to help limit even your Admin accounts.

Assigning system folders to "Administrator" helps protect the OS slightly, because even though your average user is probably logged on as an administrator (not the administrator account, just an account with administrator privileges) they shouldn't really be messing with moving/deleting OS files in Windows Explorer. Ownership was something originally controlled by Network and database administrators and is not something your average W7 user would need to know.

But anyway, you never specifically stated that you have right-clicked on the driver installation program and chosen "run as an administrator". As I have said, just being logged on as an administrator may not be enough. Have you actually right-clicked on the driver installation program and selected "Run as an administrator"? If so then take a screenshot of your error(s) and post it please.

Ask a Question