SOLVED "Logging off" on boot

Reaction score
Can anyone help please? When I turn on the computer all I get is the spinning circle and "Logging off". Tried turning power on/off/on, pressing all the keys I can think of, nothing works.Checked with broadband provider and that is fine, which it is or I wouldn't be able to post this on another computer. I really need to access stuff quickly for my uni work.
Grateful for any advice that could fix this. Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is it a laptop and is it plugged in? loose plug? reason I ask ... it sounds like your computer was hibernating and when you power on it detects low power and shuts back down.

And just FYI, your ISP would not have a way to shut down your computer, only to remove your internet connection.

If it is not the power issue then I suggest you put in the W7 DVD or Recovery DVD and boot up with that, then run start-up repair. Let us know the results.

Reaction score
Is it a laptop and is it plugged in? loose plug? reason I ask ... it sounds like your computer was hibernating and when you power on it detects low power and shuts back down.

And just FYI, your ISP would not have a way to shut down your computer, only to remove your internet connection.

If it is not the power issue then I suggest you put in the W7 DVD or Recovery DVD and boot up with that, then run start-up repair. Let us know the results.

Thanks for the info. The power conection was ok - was a laptop plugged in - don't have the DVD's as the machine was "integrated" when bought. After some thought, and desperation, I remembered that I could force shut-down by holding down the on/off switch..Did this and re-started, which worked ok and let me use programmes but still wouldn't shut-down normally.Forced shut-down again and re-started - ran a complete avast scan - and bingo, problem resolved. Thanks again for your help. Guthrie.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A complete AVAST scan fixed it? So it sounds like you had a virus.

Glad you worked it out.

Ask a Question