Linux - Which distribution?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Heya Guys!
Ok, so I just wanted to know what linux distribution you use/like and why.

I use Ubuntu Studio 9.4. It's nice and stylish and has nice tools. Though, I still prefer Windows 7 by far :)

What about you?

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi FC

Over the years I have use Ubuntu, Mandriver, Mint, Red Hat, and Suse Linux, out of all I think Mandriver worked best for me, but today I don't run any Linux .... but saying that I do keep an updated copy of Linux live CD as it can be handy for testing computers.

Reaction score
Peppermint, Mint and Ubuntu are probably the most user-friendly versions. I think you'll like them.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Mint 9 was just released, and it rocks! And it's available in 32 or 64 bit. Mint, born in 2006, is now the world's fourth used OS, behind Windows (all), Apple Mac (all), and Ubuntu. And their support forum is great, too. Ubuntu is good, too. If only they weren't so picky about printers and applying downloads, they would be in front of Apple easily.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Add another vote for Mint. I'm currently runing an older version in my Virtualbox but I've compaired it and Ubuntu and found Mint to be much more user friendly....the added bonus being that since Mint is based off Ubuntu, you can use both OS forums to solve problems.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have Mint 9 64 bit running on an external drive, and I'm satisfied with it. This version has long term support, through sometime in 2013. It keeps getting better with each release. And they have a ton of optional software in their base to download and use. Something for most everyone. I also have the 32 bit version installed in Virtual Box on the XP partition of my laptop. It does alright, too.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Cat, I'm going to have a look at the new Mint (its a few years since I used it) :top:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hum... Never heard of mint before becoming member on this forum. Don't really like the GUI, after having a look at it either.

I've been using Ubuntu, and all its derivaties, for over a year, and it definitly isn't as user friendly as they say it is.

Though, I still have a Live USB of Ubuntu with me, and it is thanks to it that I got help on this forum in the first place.

So, in other words, Linux is nice, efficient and handy, but it lacks the simplicity and ease of use of Windows.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Mint, definitely. Beats the hell out of Ubuntu.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes...
I'm going to upgrade my old XP in a few weeks to Windows 7. I might keep a few gigs to test Linux distros like Mint. How much should I give it, keeping in mind I'm going to have 7, XP and Linux on a 160GB HDD?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Roughly speaking.

50 for Win7
30 for XP
20 for Mint
Remaining for Data

Do you have room for another drive?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Roughly speaking.

50 for Win7
30 for XP
20 for Mint
Remaining for Data

Do you have room for another drive?
Thanks Yodap!
Yes I do have space for an other hard drive, but I'm not too keen about getting a second one. As I said, this is an old machine, and I was only thinking of upgrading it because I am upgrading an other 2 or 3 computers, and I will thus be using a Home license. Also, I am planning on going 64bit, because the processor is an AMD Athlon 64 with 4GB or RAM.

A data partition would probably be a good idea. (No, I don't have one).

Reaction score
IMO:

25GB for 7, 15GB for XP, 15GB for Mint, the remainder for user data.

If you can't run these OSes on these capacities, you probably store way too many files on the OS partitions.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Thrax, I can't disagree. I was adding wiggle room. Many people don't keep it under control, my brother for instance, can't keep his XP install on a 80GB drive. He has a couple of bulky programs like Office and Photoshop and just tons of data. Not much music but lots of pictures. He doen't have a back-up drive and is to lazy to back up to dvd. I've tried to tell him but :dontknow:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I do like to keep a large data partition/drive for storing data. I reformat and reinstall OSs rather frequently so it makes life a hell of a lot easier. I also back up some more crucial files online with SpiderOak, which is a terrific service.

I don't like to mix it up by installing program files on my data partition. Modern Warfare 2 alone is like 20 gb, so no, 25 gb is nowhere enough for me. The system files can stay on the system partition.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Mint, definitely. Beats the hell out of Ubuntu.
You said a mouthful there. It wouldn't surprise me to see Mint jumping in front of Ubuntu in the near future. Mint is the best of all Linux OS's, in my opinion. So easy to install and run, too.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
IMO:

25GB for 7, 15GB for XP, 15GB for Mint, the remainder for user data.

If you can't run these OSes on these capacities, you probably store way too many files on the OS partitions.
I'm currently running 4 Windows OS's (with a couple of VM's also), on a 100GB (93GB usable) drive.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I confess that I am totally out of touch with Linux distributions.
I tried a few a couple of years ago, and was disappointed with the hardware problems.
After reading comments on this thread, I was tempted once again. I downloaded Mint and ran up the Live option. Nice and easy. I was impressed, but, of course, the "live" CD had limitations.
So I took the plunge and installed it.
Don't slam me for this, but I was again, disappointed. Nothing seemed to have changed over two years. I quickly add here, that this is a two year old laptop, which I normally use for testing purposes. With Windows 7, it installed everything "out of the box" including two fairly new printers and a vintage laser. Internet was automatic.
Mint had to be tickled to find the Internet connection. It could not supply any drivers for two of the printers. Worst, No sound.
I hunted on the internet and tried a few suggestions, bu was still unable to get any of these items to work.
So I played with the OS for a day and then deleted it (No small task with Windows 7 installed on the same computer!)
SWo, sadly, it will probably be another couple of years before I have another go.
Probably a unique bad experience though.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I just installed Linux Mint 9 on a second hard drive. Like it so far, but still a long ways to go (for me) until I'm comfortable with it.

Installing some programs are a P.I.T.A.!! (I'm not talking flat bread either!) LOL!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I just installed Linux Mint 9 on a second hard drive. Like it so far, but still a long ways to go (for me) until I'm comfortable with it.

Installing some programs are a P.I.T.A.!! (I'm not talking flat bread either!) LOL!
Mint is one of the best of Linux OS's. There are thousands of downloads available from their download base that installs quickly, without problems. It's when you try to download & install outside of the OS's database, things can be tricky, and fast. Like folding@home. I downloaded what was recommended, but couldn't get it to install. It's not like Windows, as far as these things are concerned.

But with Mint (as well as most other Linux OS's), you don't need an AV, defragmenter, registry cleaner, and so forth. It is secure, and as long as you use the No Script function with the included version of Firefox that ships with the OS, you should be fine. Not having to run an active AV & spyware/malware program(s) speeds your system a lot. However, there is a virus scanner for download (ClamAV). It scans your system in seconds.

The main thing here is that Mint (or any Linux OS) is not Windows. That's where a lot of users gives up. The same with Mac. You have to learn to do things all over again. However, most popular Linux OS's, such as Mint, comes with enough to get you going, so that you can learn. And like Windows 7, you have the choice of 32 or 64 bit. I use it, a little every day, but not as my main OS. Like I previously stated, Linux is not Windows, I like both, but my home is Windows.

Ask a Question