SOLVED Help booting via a Linux disk

Reaction score
Not sure what forum to submit to as issue could be anything.

I have a OCZ SSD I am trying to update its firmware.
It's on a PC running win 7 home prem.
I use a belkin wireless db759 adapter to connect to the net.
My ISP is thru my cable provider & they provided the modem.

I took thevWin 7 pc down stairs & with the cables of my XP machine used those to connect/set up the Win 7. I have to be hard wired to the net as the OCZ toolbox disk must have a Internet connection in order to update the SSD firmware. The disk has a Linux boot up software (if thats the right lingo).

When I boot up the win 7 PC via that disk I do not have a internet connection. But when I reboot into windows I have connection.

For the life of me I don't get it.
Any ideas / thoughts ?

Last edited:

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Hey Sethm. I'm a little confused reading your post, but I can touch on a few things.

Firstly, to update your SSD you should download the firmware directly to your desktop. I know OCZ hosts the firmware on their website for direct downloads. You would only use their SSD Toolbox software to actually flash it, which you can actually do from inside Windows. (You must be booting Windows off a different drive, not the SSD you are flashing)

Reaction score
Kougar - thanks.
Via the OCZ site I have a iso file I have successfully copied to a DVD.
That DVD is supposed to allow the firmware update by booting up the PC, that toolbox program then dials out (thus the need for Internet connection) and complete the update process. But for some reason the PC does get Internet connection with this Linux based disk. If I can get Internet connection when in windows then I should with this disk (which I have confirmed with OCZ tech support).

I do not have windows 7 on another drive to boot to. But I do have a spare hhd that I could try to install a copy of windows to it. One question though. Does that drive also have to be connected to a Sata 3/6gb port on the mobo?
I have two none ssd drives ( but not connected to a Sata 3 port).

My thought was to disconnect the ssd & the 2 hhd, then connect a western dig drive to one of the non Sata 3 ports & install win 7 to that drive. Then install the OCZ toolbox to the west dig drive.
Then to reconnect the OCZ ssd, then boot to windows of the west dig drive and run the update .

But still confused why no Internet connection. OCZ tech guy had no solution - hence the post here.
I have not posted to a Belkin or a Linux forum and I doubt my cable company would be of help.
The odd thing is, I was able to update the firmware once before on this same PC. The only thing new is of course window updates and that back then I was with DSL Extreme, now with Cox cable ( so wondering if some how the cox modem the problem).

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
sethm1,

Do you have a link to the ISO? If the ISO is not too large I'll download it and have look.

Regards.

Reaction score
I do see a reference to Public IP - but there is nothing to the right of the colon.

With respect to the Local LAN & Local Wi-fi - they both say "No Address"

I have tried wirelessly but guessing - that since I also get the "No wifi devices found" - then my wireless adapter is not supported.

Shintaro

Reaction score
I would agree that probably your wireless adapter is not supported.

Are you able to connect via ethernet? It will probably work correctly then.

Just something else, you know that updating the firmware on the SSD could wipe your drive, don't you?

Reaction score
RE: "Are you able to connect via ethernet? It will probably work correctly then."
Thats the mystery and the reason for the original post.

Why when all being "equal" I can connect via the ethernet when booted to Windows BUT not when I boot via the toolbox disk? This is what the OCZ Tech guy could not answer.

& yes aware may wipe drive.
I have various backups- including images & Carbonite.

Shintaro

Reaction score
So when booted in to the OCZ linux and connected via ethernet, what does

"ifconfig -a" show?

Also

"lspci | grep -i ethernet"

And

"dmesg | grep eth"

All without the quotes.

Reaction score
No idea - hope you'll be in the forum during the weekend as may not be able to tackle this another time till maybe Sat.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Thanks for digging into the linux CD Shintaro! I wasn't even aware OCZ had the option. It seems really strange they would not simply download the firmware to the actual CD though... flashing via an online connection is risky, and problems like this one would be common.

Sethm, I think your idea of installing the second drive and putting windows on it would be simpler. You do not need to even register, install Windows 7 without a product key and it will be free to use for 30 days. It doesn't matter what ports either drive are connected to, the toolbox will detect the OCZ drive regardless and flash directly to it. If the toolbox software can't see the drive, then make sure to install chipset/SATA drivers from the mainboard manufacturer's website... most boards shouldn't need this though.

As you already mentioned, do be sure to remove the OCZ drive when installing Windows onto the HDD, just to avoid potential issues down the road with your main OS. :)

Reaction score
Shintaro -
Regarding your reference to "ifconfig -a" (you meant ipconfig - yes?)
"lspci | grep -i ethernet"
And
"dmesg | grep eth"

I do not see any such items (when I boot to that toolbox disk) - or are those I would find when in Windows & go to the CMD prompt?

Kougar -
Thanks - yea putting Win 7 on my spare Western Dig Drive is the option I am leaning to. & thanks for mentioning that that drive need not be connected to a Sata 3 port. As instead of trying to snake thru the chassis to get to the sata 3 port would have been a pain. Instead will just use one of the existing cables from my other HHD - a SeaGate. So this will make it easy

Shintaro

Reaction score
sethm1,

When you get to the desktop of the OCZ boot disk
Right mouse click anywhere on the desktop.
You will get a menu.
Look down the list for "Terminal" command prompt in Windows speak.

Then type those command in to the Terminal window.

In windows it is ipconfig, but in Linux, which the OCZ disk is, it is ifconfig.

I hope that is clear, my wife say's that my explanations are as "clear as mud".

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Reaction score
Success.
Was able to install a copy of Win 7 on a Spare Western Digital Drive.
Then installed my Belkin Wireless adapter and the OCZ Tool box on that drive.

Then rebooted the PC (after re-plugging in the OCZ drive).

Was able to run and update the SSD with the Toolbox. Now running v 2.22 and it took about 10 seconds! After all these hours spent and the update takes 10 seconds.

Questions:
I gather I did the right thing by complete shutdown, then connected the OCZ then a startup. BUT - while running windows, could I have also connected the SSD then?

2. Ran a AS SSD scan - Read/Wrties not much better. Though not the reason for updating the firmware, was hoping for better results.
a. Would going down to Microcenter and buying a new cable for the Sata 3 help?
b. how again to I convert the AS SSD Benchmark into English?

3. Now that I have Win 7 (I tried my current Product Key - but set up would not accept it) I gather I have to format that drive, then the next time I update the OCZ go thru this process again? The version of Win 7 will only have a 30 day trial period. What if I imaged that drive, I gather it wont freeze the time, then say 6 mos a yr from now when I connect it, good to go? Guessing that as soon as I connect to the internet,
windows will see that 30 days have passed.

Thx in advance.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
To answer your questions

1) You're thinking of hot-plugging. However the SSD would've needed to have the power cable connected.... if a user attempts to hot-plug a SATA drive's power cable, they run a good chance of frying the drive and possibly damaging the port controller. This pretty much limits the usefulness of hotplugging drives unless there's a special enclosure or something designed for hotplugging involved.

2) Firmware can improve performance, but in MOST cases it won't give you a huge performance leap. Companies try to eke out all the performance they can before they even put the drive to market. ;) Typically firmware updates will give minor performance boosts and fix discovered bugs, stability, or incompatibility problems.

A SATA 3 cable might help a little IF there was electrical interference or something going on. But it's like 99% likely if you got a higher quality cable it won't affect performance enough you'd see it reflected in a benchmark. (latching cables are great for other reasons if you don't have one, though)

As for AS SSD, the program itself should appear in english for you. If it does not, on the menu bar there is a "Language" next to "Help". You can click that and select English. Unfortunately most of the documentation and help files are still going to be German, but AS SSD is a very good program regardless.

3) I would presume that yes, it would compare the install date to the system BIOS time and maybe an internet timeserver. It would probably lock you out of most of the system functionality at that point. I'm vague on specifics but due to have issues on one legit machine of my own I do now it will lock you out of the system at some point. It's best to not use your own key (even if it would accept it, OEM keys won't work for retail edition discs) because they only have a limited number of uses depending on the type of OS license associated with the key.

Reaction score
thanks for confirming what I thought would be the answers.

thanks y'all for your help.

Issue Resolved

Ask a Question