SOLVED andLinux

Reaction score
this is true-ly one of the best software I have ever seen.....personally I love.it ....but then agin who am I.?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think he means this, Cliff. I am a long way from Linux, but have heard good reports on it. If you have tried Ubuntu, you will be familiar with it.
http://www.andlinux.org/

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ubuntu is horrible for a Linux distro though, not half nearly as good as Arch or Mint

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Not to rock the boat here but isn't Linux Mint a derivative of Ubuntu?

There is SO MUCH confusion when it comes to Linux distros because some say this distro is better, other say that distro is better. It all boils down to a very confusing mess of "he said, she said".

Who is right? Which distro is better? Depends on the day of the week and the weather if you ask me. One person advised me that Mint 10 sucked, that Mint 11 was way better, then another said the exact opposite. The Ubuntu was great but Mint sucked. If the Linux community is having this many issues regarding distros, then it's no wonder that everyone else is so confused.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
As they say, "opinions are like a--holes; everybody's got one and they all stink but mine"

It is guaranteed with every new OS release that they will improve one thing and trash another.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
No No. You are so wrong. My opinion is always correct!!!!!!!! All others are not worth a mention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Not to rock the boat here but isn't Linux Mint a derivative of Ubuntu?

There is SO MUCH confusion when it comes to Linux distros because some say this distro is better, other say that distro is better. It all boils down to a very confusing mess of "he said, she said".

Who is right? Which distro is better? Depends on the day of the week and the weather if you ask me. One person advised me that Mint 10 sucked, that Mint 11 was way better, then another said the exact opposite. The Ubuntu was great but Mint sucked. If the Linux community is having this many issues regarding distros, then it's no wonder that everyone else is so confused.
There's lots of others derived from Ubuntu, but not by the same developer. That's what makes up for the difference, things are changed around, other things are improved, and they didn't really improve on how bulky Ubuntu is for computer resources. The only reason people use it is because it's an easy migration from a Windows OS to Linux, and it's also more widely known. Same reason why the majority of people use IE... Firefox doesn't come pre-installed on your machine (more than likely), and same thing with Iron or Chromium.

Sabayon and OpenSuse are far more superior than Ubuntu, as the same with Arch.

Mint 10 is bad, and same with Mint 9, Mint 8 was better than 9, and Julia was horrible in comparison with 11. As stated, Ubuntu is easy to use, which is why some beginner Linux users will always tell you that Ubuntu is better. But that's probably only on a user configurability level.

They aren't having many issues at all, it's Open source, the development on Linux will surpass Windows at some point i'm sure, unless they all give up and the kernel goes down the drain.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've liked all the Mint versions. Found them the easiest to install and use.
OpenSuse just did not want to install and Ubuntu did something I did not like, cannot recall now.

Now I've set up my XP/7 dual boot I don't bother with any of the Linux versions anymore. Linux is getting better all the time with it's GUI but to get the best from them you still need some bash skills.

Reaction score
One of these days I'm gonna build up enough desire to install Linux. At least one of them, if I ever decide which flavor I want to try first.

The only thing I know to do is read, learn, and keep my mouth shut every time a Linux topic comes up.

Reaction score
I am playing around with Mint 11 on a live CD have not decided yet if I want to install it. Does it create a boot loader so I can select either my W7 64 bit My Vista 32Bit(which I have now in a dual boot configuration) or Mint if I decide to install it.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sabayon and OpenSuse are far more superior than Ubuntu, as the same with
Arch.

Mint 10 is bad, and same with Mint 9, Mint 8 was better than 9, and
Julia was horrible in comparison with 11. As stated, Ubuntu is easy to use,
which is why some beginner Linux users will always tell you that Ubuntu is
better. But that's probably only on a user configurability level.
As Yogi Berra, that famous New York Yankee, once stated: "It's deja vu all over again!" :eek: ;)

Reaction score
I have a question if I install Mint what version of wine software should I install

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am playing around with Mint 11 on a live CD have not decided yet if I want to install it. Does it create a boot loader so I can select either my W7 64 bit My Vista 32Bit(which I have now in a dual boot configuration) or Mint if I decide to install it.
No! be careful before installing it lol. You don't want to get yourself in trouble. If you want to create a dual boot setup. You'll have to use your Windows OS to shrink your drive volume in drive management to free up some space for a partition to put Linux onto. This partition will be formatted to ext4 when you choose to install Mint. Through the Mint install it will give you an option to install over the Windows OS, or to a separate partition, make sure you choose the right one. If you choose to install on a partition it will give you a screen during install to choose the amount of space (from the unallocated space you've freed up > by shrinking your hard drive volume) to format for your Linux partition. Once installed Linux will use gnome to give you a boot screen for choosing either Linux or Windows to boot from, with a timeout of 10 seconds for default I believe.

I have a question if I install Mint what version of wine software should I install
The latest one of course lol. There's also one called CrossOver, which is an advanced version of Wine, but not free.

Reaction score
Thanks, I did shrink my primary C:Drive from 1.5 TB to 1TB thus giving about 500 gig to a future4win on this drrive which does give you install of Mint 11 right now I run mint which does give me the option to run Mint 64 bit, My Vista 32 Bit or my Primary OS W7 64 Bit. I have Easy BCD 2.1 so I can set Mint as my Primary for booting. Operating using mint4win is the ideal situation for me as I am slowly learning Linux and I mean slowly

Reaction score
i do not like linux
they are too difficult to work on
they are not at all user friendly

Reaction score
I do not mind learning, but you are right they are not user friendly as an OS

Ask a Question