Linux sucks!

Reaction score
Thats funny

How can a user of freeware call a user of a paid software, "freeloader"?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
Reminds me of the movies when a criminal is used to catch a criminal.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
^ :lol:

@ catilley, hope you like Paragon I'm using it over Acronis it does a better job to my mind, any probs post or PM me :)

Screen shot of Paragon backups in Windows 7

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head Clifford. How can we be called freeloaders? Normally, I stay away from free programs, but I do have a couple of trusted ones. I believe you are searching for a backup, too. I started another post regarding a backup, so I'll leave that there. But I've spent nearly two grand on PC related equipment this year alone, so I know that I'm not a freeloader.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
There is one option that's not been mentioned in regards to Linux that I totally endorse and that is running a Linux Distro in Virtual Box. The Virtual Box program is free, works under Windows 7, 32 and 64 bit and since it's not a dual-boot, there are no worries about a ruined boot member or wierd fragmentations of hard drives.

I've personally tried out 2 flavors of Ubuntu and Mint, Puppy Linux and Damn Small Linux. I've settled on Linux Mint 5 Lite since it takes up the smallest footprint on my hard drive but if I so wish to remove it tomorrow, a simple delete of the virtual drive file and It's gone.

If you do decide to go the Virtual Box route, don't hesitate to ask me anything. I'm not a guru but feel pretty knowledgeable after using the VBox program for around 3 years now.

As to Linux, yes I agree that it is difficult in some ways. Mostly, I found the problems to be where a program I was interested in was not in the Package Manager and had to do all the downloading / making / compiling / ect where in Windows a simple download of an .exe file and you are on your way. If you never need to leave the Package Manager and never have to use the Terminal, I dare say you'd love Linux but even in the simplest VBox install, I've needed to use the Terminal for some things that really should have been in the Package Manager.

Reaction score
@ Clifford,
Yes, as others have said it would be best to join a Linux community. I've only been using it for around three months, so what I know is mostly from trial and error. And, if you have a separate hard drive you can use, then this should be the obvious choice. My only real advice is, read up on it before you just dive in. It always helps to have a good understanding of something, and how that something works, before you jump into it.

I wish I would of the first time I ran Vista. I messed with stuff try get it to run smoother and use less resources, and shortly after I had transfered all of my DVD's to my hard drive for back ups , it crashed and burned beyond repair. Or at least my ability to repair it lol.

@catilley1092
Sorry to hear you lost so much trying out Linux. But it is always good computing to back up all files and cover your own a$$, as much as possible whenever trying something new to you, that can have risk as anything else does.

As for the Linux news letter, I never got that one, but I know a good deal of Linux users are OS Snob's. That's what I call them at least. OS fan boys would probably be better. Every OS has them, Mac users are the worst. I read somewhere that some Mac users think just because they own a high end machine, that works so well, that it some how makes them better people. Like there is a magical power embedded in the Mac, that transfers it evil powers to any one who use's it. Nonsense is all I have to say. It comes with any OS, Windows, Linux, or Mac, there is always a group of people talking the system up to be some godly creation. Just like in the gaming world, PS3 and Xbox 360 owners are a prime example.

I had my own fair share of Linux nightmares at first, Grub problems and the whole nine yards. I knew I was doing something wrong though. I had noticed other people on the forums who had the same exact computer as I did, running it with no problems at all. So I did my home work, spent hours and hours reading up on it and found out it was all my fault. I didn't understand how things worked on a Linux system because I didn't do my home work on it first.

@ Everyone else lol.

I have always been a alternative kind of person, I like having options. I grew up using Windows and I know it and I am comfortable with it. I know now after years and years of trial and error, sweat and tears, the do's and the don'ts. I have crashed numerous computers running windows, because I didn't have a good understanding of what I was doing. Whether it was messing with the registry or.dll files, It was my fault for not having read up on it more before I started playing around. That's just how I learn, it's what suites me and my needs. Everyone varies, some people are just happy with windows, they need nothing else nor have the desire to learn any other way. Other are curious, and what to explore other means of using a computer then Windows.

It's really just a matter of what you want, and what you need. If Windows "Does" everything you want, and you are happy using it, and it run's well on your machine, then by all means, stick with what works for you.

On the other hand, if you are bored with Windows, or have a old computer that doesn't run Windows well, or want to turn a old tower into a server, or just want to experience something new, don't be afraid to try something else out. There is other OS's out there other then Windows, Mac, and Linux. I myself just chose Linux, because I had heard about it for so many years, it got the best of my curiosity.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
mattweed9, you're right, I didn't cover my butt by backing up before doing this Wubi install. In fact, prior to that point, I've never backed up. And I did learn a hard lesson from it. But the ones promoting Wubi (Freeware Files) said that it was a safe way to try Linux out. That's what I get by taking their word for it. You and I both have been using computers for a while now, and it's not a matter of if, but when, something bad happens. I wasn't prepared and I had to eat it. But I did learn from it, so something good came from it. And I agree with many of your statements regarding this post. I may have had the same if not more problems if I tried out a Mac system, I'll never know because I can't afford a Mac. I was trained on Windows, and as long as it's around, I'll be a Windows user. No more Linux for me. For best results, you need certain computers, and most certainly you need the right printers (in the forums, HP is recommended, I had a Dell). So it's not without cost on the user's part. And as I already said, a lot of time is involved in learning. It's like if all you ever worked on were Chevys, you would have a time learning to work on a Toyota. This happened to me as well. I guess this post was about letting some steam off, I meant no insult to anyone. You can run anything you want.

Reaction score
LOL, I understand your frustration. If my computer was alive, it would hate me. I've called it some pretty bad things in the heat of the moment.... Like that was really going to help at all, but I did and it felt good lol.

Ask a Question