Libraries location

Reaction score
Having another bite at this after failing miserably first time around. I think I may have been confused about the distinction between special folders and libraries in Windows 7. In fact, I may still be. I'm finding this very difficult to get my head around!

What I would like to do is change the storage location of the files I save in the documents, pictures, music and video libraries. I think this may be a different thing to moving the actual location of the library folder itself....? Which I do not want to do. But I may still be hopelessly confused.

To reiterate I want to store my own files on a separate partition to the operating system by saving them in the libraries folders but changing the actual storage location of those library folders to D:/Files (or some such) rather then the default of C:/users/[username]. In XP I just used to right click My Documents and change location to D and viola, that's where XP stored all of my files when I saved them to My Documents. Simple.

I am still having trouble with this on Windows 7 and somehow managed to move a load of system folders (or the shortcuts to those folders - not sure which!) to my desktop. I have restored the defaults by using system restore.

Whilst am dual booting this separating operating system and my own files been a boon in that I can access all my files whether I am running XP (main system) or Windows 7. I think this may not have been possible if I had all my files stored on the C drive with the XP system as these folders seem to be locked when dual booting to Windows 7.

I hope this makes some sort of sense to someone !

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hi kevvyb

I never use the default locations that windows uses

All the programs I am aware of
Have a setting in the properties (changing the file save location).
or
Remembers the last location you saved too.

Have you looked into the settings of each program you are using to see if you can change the save location?

Reaction score
Hi Clifford

Thanks for that but did you read my post? I have, as I stated, previously done this with XP, and have obviously, tried similar with Win7.

It is not so straightforward as far as I can see but if you can explain the exact steps needed, having achieved it yourself, that would be really helpful.

I am wondering whether part of the problem is the dual booting and that it will be simpler when running Win7 as only system. But until you have tried yourself I am not sure you will understand what I am talking about. I am not even sure we are talking about the same thing.

Reaction score
The only thing I see in your post is that you changed the location of the "My documents Folder". I dont see where you went to the properties of each program you use(Word, Excel, Photo Shop, etc....) and changed the locations from within each program.
Make a different location to save to other than My Documents or My Documents on a different drive if you choose too

Reaction score
If you open your "Personal Folder" (on the Start Menu) you should get something like:

Then, right click on the folder whose location you'd like to change, then select "Properties". Click open the "Location" tab. That will get you this screen:

Click "Move" and navigate to your folder of choice. When you click "OK" or "Apply" it will ask you if you'd like to move everything that is in the old folder to the new folder. I'd say "Yes" to that.
From now on in Windows 7, when you click on "Pictures"(no matter if it is from the Start Menu of the folder sidebar) you will open the folder you have selected here. It will also be your default save location for images.

I'm sure there are other ways to do this type of thing, but it's what I do.

I hope this is what you were needing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Default user locations and virtual folder save locations

OK I have found another angle on this and I am groping towards an idea of what the difference is.

Right clicking on a folder in C:/users[username]....gives option to move a physical system folder location and this is what I have been trying and getting very odd results - even when selecting to move all files. This is all I have seen suggested anywhere I have looked on the web.

By kevvyb at 2009-07-25

What I have done is gone in from the 'virtual folder' end (not sure if that is the correct term). Right clicking on the virtual folder Pictures for instance give the option to add and remove save locations to this virtual folder.

By kevvyb at 2009-07-25

Can anyone clarify the difference between these two approaches? I think the difference is that the first leaves a default save location for the 'physical' folder on C: at users/[username] or moves that to another location (supposedly). This is what I had trouble with.

The second I think makes no changes to the location of that system file and instead gathers save location(s) for the virtual folders. I have added folders on my D: partition (currently the Win XP 'My Pictures' folder) and removed the C:/users/public and C:/users/[username] locations.

And this I think has achieved what I desired. The pictures virtual folder remains and and files saved there will actually be saved at D:/My Pictures.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Satchmo

Thanks for that. Posts crossed. Your suggestion is exactly what I have been trying. It's the same as XP really so not surprising I tried that first.

That is the first scenario set out in my last post and the one that for some reason has not been working or appearing to give very odd results every time I have tried it. I am wondering if it it the presence of XP Special Folders on my D:/ partition that is confusing the issue or messing it up.

Of course, when I switch to Win 7, those XP special folders will no longer exist on my D:/ partition. I will give it another go then and see if it seems to work. For now I am just gathering the save locations under the 'virtual' folder haedings and this is working okay as well.

Reaction score
The only thing I see in your post is that you changed the location of the "My documents Folder". I dont see where you went to the properties of each program you use(Word, Excel, Photo Shop, etc....) and changed the locations from within each program.
Make a different location to save to other than My Documents or My Documents on a different drive if you choose too
Still think we ate at cross purposes. My post mentioned 'documents' not 'My Documents', likewise with pictures, music and videos. I will admint hat I am still unsure as to the significance of the difference between the two (documents and My Documents for example) in Win7.

Thanks anyway.

Reaction score
The more I think about this the more I realize that the issue (for me at the moment with dual booting XP and Win 7) is made more complicated in the results by the fact of the existence on my D partition already of the Windows XP My Documents/ ...Pictures / ...Music / ...Videos folders that the system sees as 'special' in some way.

Whilst I am dual booting i do not want two sets of files, one on each system. I am using the files created on D: by the XP special folders on the Win 7 installation as well.

Hope this might explain some of the confusion.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Whilst I am dual booting i do not want two sets of files, one on each system. I am using the files created on D: by the XP special folders on the Win 7 installation as well.
I understand where you are coming from. I too have the same needs. You are fighting windows in where the documents are to be kept but not only does it store documents. It also stores setting in the same folders. These settings may not be compatible with both XP and 7.

I also stated that I dont use the default save location(My Documents) I use my own folders and setup each application to use this folder I have created. A different approach to the same results bypassing Windows settings.

Microsoft may have a nice Operating System but it is clear that they do not organize their folders very well. Blending documents and settings and what ever else in the same folders is a bad idea. I have no clue what is stored in that folder and stay out of it. Atleast I know what is in the one I created.

And now its even more confusing with the links all in the Data folder. I dont have a clue where i am half the time or where the next link will take me. If you like being lost, Be my guest and stick with Microsofts Organization Skills.

Ask a Question