Laptop Freezes Momentarily 2-3 seconds and two beep sound

Reaction score
My computer has been freezing 2-3 seconds and makes an audible sound. When it freezes I lose control of the mouse. It sometimes will do this several times in a row. Very annoying. I have ran hard drive and memory tests that all passed. Also defrag the hard drive and removed programs from automatically starting up but the problem still exists. costco conceirge service want to do a system restore but I wonder if there is another fix. I notices in the event log there are many "bowser errors" and they seem to be associate with the the computer hanging up. In the application event log I am also noticing ATIerecord errors that state "ATI EEU failed to post message to CCC". Can the "bowser" errors or the ATIerecord error be the source of my freezing problem? If so how can I get these errors to stop. If not what could be causing this? Please Help!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is it a USB mouse? The beeps could simply be the sound associated with Device Connect and Device Disconnect.

The easiest way to find out is to go to Control Panel > Personalization and select Sounds from the bottom row. Now in Sounds find "Device Connect" and "Device Disconnect" and change the associated sounds to something more distinctive, maybe you have a few little WAV files (they should be very short, like a second in duration). Now use you mouse normally and see if instead of beeps you hear the wav files you set up. If you do then the problem is your mouse, the wire is bad and you will need to replace it.

This is how I found out what was causing my tracball "stuttering" problem and I had to buy a new one.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. The sound I was getting is the one assigned to device connect disconnect. I assigned a different sound to that function and when the problem repeated I got the new assigned sound. I'm plugging in a different mouse (wireless) and will monitor to see if the problem reoccurrs but I'm hopeful that the mouse is my only issue. I never had one to go bad like that before. And to think the Costco folks was suggesting restoring the operating system which would have wiped by entire hard drive. Not sure about those folks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well a system repair, though drastic, can fix a multitude of problems but it would not fix a hardware issue.

The truth is, I think this situation is rare and I struggled with my mouse stuttering for several weeks. It was just luck that I was messing with sounds and finally figured it out. Then you got lucky enough to stumble into a forum where someone had experienced just such a failure. Miracles happen every day. Glad I could help.

Ask a Question