Lack of installation knowledge

Reaction score
Hi,

Just joined and am in need of some information.

Am currently running windows XP-64 (C:) with all profile directories residing on (F:).

Am looking to install windows 7. What is the best option:

1. install on a separate partition. If so can I point to (F:) so that it will see all my current profiles.

2. Can I install Windows 7 over XP-64 without removing all of my applications.

3. Wipe the XP partition and install Windows 7? If I go this route is there any way I can transfer my applications or will I need to re-istall all of them again?

Thanks in advance

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
My answer would be install to a new partition (clean install) then install new applications for Windows 7, and you will have a dual boot. you will need a 60GB partition (plenty room for apps etc)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Install it on a separate partition. You will not be able to point Windows 7 to your Windows XP user profiles, as they are not compatible. Some of your applications that don't explicitly depend on the registry will work, but be prepare to install separate copies of applications like Photoshop, Office, Flash, etc.

Reaction score
Hmmm...

This sound a long process.

Basically then I have to install on a fresh partition and install all applications again.

At that point is there any easy method of transferring all of the profiles/profile data into the new directory?

Ask a Question