just bought windows 7 but machine is too old

Reaction score
So I just bought windows 7 a few weeks ago to install on my Dell Deminsion 2400 and after much pain and hours of research, I have come to the conclusion that this machine is just not going to cut it.

I really don't want to loose out on the cost of purchasing this OS, so I would like to maybe find a new computer that doesn't have any OS on it (in hopes that it will cut down on the overall cost of purchase), and installing this windows 7 that I just bought.

Is that something I can do, or do I have to eat the cost since I just installed it on my old Dell?

Thanks for any info or thoughts!

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
What license did you purchase? Upgrade, retail or OEM?

Reaction score
Hello,
If you do not mind using "E-Bay", most of the computers
for sale are without OS. New,refurbished and used.
Look for sellers that have a couple of years selling and a 98%
or better record.
Prices start around $150.00 U.S.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you have the specs of your Dell 2400 as we can see if there may be a cost effective upgrade to boost the performance :).

Reaction score
Do you have the specs of your Dell 2400 as we can see if there may be a cost effective upgrade to boost the performance :).
80G harddrive, 2G ram, don't know the rest off the top of my head. Im still at work.

The main issue now is the graphics card. My resolution is huge and can't be changed. After much searching around, the issues are: it has to be a pci card that windows 7 will support.. can't find one. I've also read that I would also have issues with the power supply supporting a good card

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Very old system... it's really not worth your time or effort to get it running on Windows 7. No SATA drives, DDR RAM which is very antiquated, etc.

If it doesn't even have a PCI-Express slot or AGP slot for the graphics card then you know it's an old setup, plus it's a DELL.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's time to get a more up to date, modern system. You can use this setup though for a footrest, boat anchor, or run XP on it for grins.

Reaction score
Very old system... it's really not worth your time or effort to get it running on Windows 7. No SATA drives, DDR RAM which is very antiquated, etc.

If it doesn't even have a PCI-Express slot or AGP slot for the graphics card then you know it's an old setup, plus it's a DELL.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's time to get a more up to date, modern system. You can use this setup though for a footrest, boat anchor, or run XP on it for grins.
Haha! yeah.. its kinda how it is looking. Pretty frustrating. I actually have another computer that I use for music production and thought this one would be good for all the other misc. stuff. Pictures, videos and whatever. I figured I could get it good enough for that at least, but it has been a hair pulling couple of weeks working on this after work, trying to get it up and running at full speed. Oh well..

Thanks for the help everyone!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hello,
If you do not mind using "E-Bay", most of the computers
for sale are without OS. New,refurbished and used.
Look for sellers that have a couple of years selling and a 98%
or better record.
Prices start around $150.00 U.S.
I've bought 3 of eBay's "refurbs", and all of them were garbage. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to purchase an extended warranty through SquareTrade (an excellent company to consider when purchasing one, it'll save you up to 70%), and my purchases were refunded in full.

If I were ever to buy another computer off of eBay (highly unlikely), it would have to be new & unopened.

A refurbished computer is one of the most unwise purchases you can possibly make. You're better off catching a sale on Newegg or a local retailer for a budget PC/notebook than taking the chance of the headaches on a refurbished one, regardless of the place of sale. eBay in particular is an overpriced yard sale, when it comes to used/refurbished items. Stay away, for your own good.

Cat

Reaction score
Whoa! That's not true at all. OEM versions are readily available off ebay.
Not sure what you mean.. its not the full version? I guess I am not sure what OEM means. It seemed like I had two options when buying Windows 7. Upgrade or full version. I did not buy an upgrade..

Reaction score
I've bought 3 of eBay's "refurbs", and all of them were garbage. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to purchase an extended warranty through SquareTrade (an excellent company to consider when purchasing one, it'll save you up to 70%), and my purchases were refunded in full.

If I were ever to buy another computer off of eBay (highly unlikely), it would have to be new & unopened.

A refurbished computer is one of the most unwise purchases you can possibly make. You're better off catching a sale on Newegg or a local retailer for a budget PC/notebook than taking the chance of the headaches on a refurbished one, regardless of the place of sale. eBay in particular is an overpriced yard sale, when it comes to used/refurbished items. Stay away, for your own good.

Cat
hmm.. well definitly something to keep in mind. I was thinking about getting one that says it is actually refurbished from Dell or whoever. Does that make any difference? I dont think I would buy one from an individual.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
:eek: My mistake! I must have still been asleep. I misread and thought you were saying "if" bought off ebay, then it "must" be retail.

Sorry 'bout that!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer.

This version of Windows 7 has no MS tech support included in it. The end-user must go to the maker or builder of their computer to receive tech support for Windows 7. That's why it is not as expensive as the Retail and Upgrade versions. However it's product key is tied to the hardware in the system, specifically the motherboard and hard drive.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
hmm.. well definitly something to keep in mind. I was thinking about getting one that says it is actually refurbished from Dell or whoever. Does that make any difference? I dont think I would buy one from an individual.
That's what my notebook says, it even has a sticker on it "Dell Refurbished". I bought it on eBay, from Dell Financial Services.

Dell's idea of "refurbishing" is reinstalling the OS (they furnished me with the reinstall disc, should I need it, and I have, twice), replacing defective parts with used ones, cleaning the exterior, repackaging it in a original Dell box, that's it.

A few months ago, my RAM went bad. So when I replaced the bad RAM, the old sticks were greasy, like whoever replaced it was also an auto mechanic. My hands got grease on them by removing the sticks, and it even had a partial fingerprint on it. And as far as cleaning goes, they didn't even blow the dust out of it, it was PACKED with it, as though the contents of a vaccum cleaner bag were blown into it by force. I'm not exaggerating about it, either.

After a couple of months, the DVD ROM started to wobble while burning discs, it began to run hot, I had to purchase a battery after one week (batteries are NOT guaranteed by refurbishers).

So really, just because it's OEM refurbished, that means nothing. They have "outlets" for newer ones, the older ones goes to resellers, like those on eBay & Amazon, so that way, you can't directly complain to the OEM.

I thought I'd give you an idea of what you're in for, by making a refurb/used purchase on eBay. But if you do take the chance, make sure that you buy the 2 year warranty from SquareTrade, it'll be offered to you. In fact, make sure that the item is eligible for the warranty before purchase. A 2 year warranty doesn't cost much through SquareTrade. My Dell cost only around $66 for the 2 year coverage.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Ask a Question