Just bought W7 and 4 more gigs of RAM HELP!!!!!!!

Reaction score
So I now I have a goal of 8 gigs of RAM and my mother board model number is M4a785-m by asus. I read some places that you need to adjust the voltage?? PLEASE HELP!! I need detail instructions to follow to make this work!!

Reaction score
As long as the timings are the same you should be ok. It's all ways recommended to use the same manufacturer when adding RAM with the same timings. This way you ensure RAM compatibility with the system.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
You don't have to adjust any voltages and most likely don't have to do anything in the BIOS either. It should be pretty much plug & play. G-Skill is good stuff.

Reaction score
So I noticed the Mushkin that is currently in there is:Timing4-4-4-12Voltage2.0V - 2.1VThe G. Skill is:

Timing4-4-4-12Voltage1.8V - 1.9VSo I have sent that back and got
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK

Voltage:2.0V - 2.1VTiming:4-4-4-12
I hope this works!!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hi Bhawkk! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website!

First of all, you're planning on mixing two different brands of RAM, which is usually not recommended even if they have the same specs. The difference in the SPD/EPD chip settings on the DIMM RAM sticks may cause conflict.

Since you currently have Mushkin Blackline RAM, I would recommend you stay with it as Mushkin is top-end, very high-quality RAM. It may not be the most 'price competitive' out there, but the quality and compatibility are bar-none!

You have 8 GB now, which is plenty for 98% of all end-users. Why do you need 16 GB of RAM? IF you're doing very intensive video rendering or Photoshop processing even 8 GB RAM should be more than sufficient, that includes gaming too.

Reaction score
When looking for the Mushkin Blackline, I should try to find the same voltage and same speed that I began with correct? I only have 4 GB in now because what I purchased would not work so I went ahead and purchased the G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK.

If this does not work, I'll just buy 4 new sticks with the same specs since they do not make the Mushkin I started with.

Ask a Question