SOLVED Jpegs Very Dark in Windows Photo Viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ever since I loaded windows 7 Pro 64 bit I have had problems with windows photo viewer.
I have reset my color configutor at least 6 times and the colors and brightness goes right back to being dark and out of color. I have downloaded Fast Stone Image Viewer for windows and colors are just great in that program. Colors are great in Photo Shop also and on desktop. The photo Viewer has me baffeled. Any ideas?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Someone else had a similar error a while back and it turned out to be the colour profiles, so it may be the same in this instance too. Can you try the following please?

Can you right click the Desktop, then click: Screen Resolution > Advanced Settings > Colour Management > Colour Management > Advanced.

Now make sure all of the profiles list the "system default" profiles. Under the main device profile it should be : sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Reaction score
Hi Ian, I checked all that you said but they are all set to the System Default . I did however set the profile associated with this device ( My Samsung Lcd Moniter) to default also and now it looks alright. It was set with a Samsung (SM205BW.icm) Profile. Which is the Model number of the Moniter.

Thanks...:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's great news, thanks for marking the thread as solved :)

Reaction score
Just following the rules here as I should be Ian. Thanks for the help ! I'll be checking the hardware section later cause I got questions on buying a new video Card Update and I haven't been keeping up on those since my last new build.

Have a good Day! :ciao:

Reaction score
So, I see that this solution worked for you, but the problem is, many of us run into this problem because we've calibrated our monitor and generated a custom ICC profile. So to just delete it to resolve this problem defeats the purpose of generating the file in the first place. I've found that the real problem is that some programs generate an ICC version 4 profile, while Windows Photo Viewer will only recognize an ICC v2 profile. Changing the program to generate a v2 profile (most programs have this as an option) will also fix this issue.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Bikeracer, I believe your solution may well be an answer I posted HERE.

As for this thread, it is over 2 years old so I am closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question