Is it me or Windows 7?

Reaction score
Hello beautiful people,
I just got a new laptop (Toshiba) with windows 7 64bit. Already I've encounted multiple problems;
First I can't get google chrome to load despite various manipulations with my settings, it registers error 102.
Secondly I can't install new applications; skype, itunes, etc
I thought it had to do with administrator issues, but last time I checked I was still the administrator. I'm running out of ideas

Your response will be highly appreciated. Is there something I'm not doing right?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you are new to Windows 7 or Vista(??) have you tried the compatibility mode?
Right click the .exe install files in each case, and select properties.
Selcta the "Compatibility" tab and then choose your compatible OS. XP SP2 works for most cases.
However, this should not be needed with Chrome. With that install, for example, do you get any message etc?

Reaction score
It's you; these problems are not typical.

Also, do note that administrator priviliges are handled differently in 7 than in XP. When you're logged in as administrator, tasks you perform are still run with user privileges, unless you specifically run them as admin. Search for information on User Account Control for a more thorough treatment. Worth a read, but I don't think it's a UAC problem for you, at least on the surface of it.

Does IE work?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, IE works, and (most) every popular browser that I've tried on Win 7 64 bit does. You've either got a defective computer, or are suffering from XP withdrawals.

And of course admin options are different. When installing XP Pro, you're asked to choose an admin password. With 7, you're not. This is 2011, not 2001.

It's not us, and I'm not being sarcastic about it. The world is constantly changing before our eyes, and we can either go with the flow, or stay behind. There's a learning curve that's to be expected with new products, many things, not just computers.

Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, IE works, and (most) every popular browser that I've tried on Win 7 64 bit does. You've either got a defective computer, or are suffering from XP withdrawals.
I was asking the OP if the IE on his computer was working - I know IE works on win7.

Chrome gets error 102 if, among other things, it has "auto configured" the proxy settings based on IE, when IE has bogus proxy settings (so says google search at least). If i'm not mistaken, both of those programs he's having install problems with have lightweight installers, which then download the latest version from the company's website, and install that. These also often use the settings of IE.

Mysterious broken, proxy settings, which the system owner has no memory of setting are unsettlingly common. I am active on forums dedicated to an MMORPG (ragnarok online) where the patcher relies on IE - and i'm just stunned by how frequently bogus proxy settings, or otherwise mangled IE settings come up.

So, whenever there are errors which indicate connectivity problems in some programs but not others, you should always check that IE is working, and fix it if it's not.

Reaction score
That's because IE is, by far, the least secure browser. Being in that position makes you susceptible to all sorts of hijack attempts, which frequently include redirecting the users through a malicious proxy.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
True, IE is the least secure browser on the market, by far. It "saves" info that even CCleaner can't delete (like your Windows Live login name). Plus the lack of addons.

I tried IE9 for almost a month, that was about four weeks too long for me.

Cat

Ask a Question