iPhone 4.0 OS Update

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The iOS4 update has just done live for the iPhone and iPod Touch series devices :) However, depending on the product version you may only see a limited feature-set improvement.

I'm updating my phone now, but it's taking some time as the Apple servers are quite busy ;).

You can read a little more about the update here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

There are things such as multitasking, homepage folders, better mail app, improved bluetooth and home screen backgrounds. Many of the improvements are straight forward software tweaks that Android users will be chuckling at, but it looks worth the update.

Reaction score
Welcome to Android 2.1-- oh, you already made that joke.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ian! I would have forgotten without you!

I've just updated my Ipod Touch to iOS 4, and as you said, the changes are only very minor. Apart from the background, folders and multitasking, it's pretty much the same.

Ok, so here is how it works:

1. Install or update to Itunes 9.2. Won't work without the newest version of itunes.
2. Wait 1/2 hour 'till setup finished installing crap on your PC.
3. Plug in your Iphone / Ipod Touch and launch itunes.
4. Click on "Update" in the device menu.
5. Accept all the EULA stuff.
6. Download the update.
7. Install the update.
8. You can finally unplug your device and start using it...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to Android 2.1-- oh, you already made that joke.
I could forsee what I'd be thinking if I was an android user ;). I do love my iPhone, but Apple are really ramping some very minor features. My favourite has to be the camera upgrade... no longer 2x digital zoom, it's 5x now... why not just go the whole way and beat everyone else with 1 million times digital zoom (said in a Dr Evil way for best effect!).

2. Wait 1/2 hour 'till setup finished installing crap on your PC.
Yep, mine took an age too - probably close to an hour for the downloading, backing up, installing, restoring, reseting, etc...! :)

Reaction score
Yep mine took the same amount of time after which I had to reset my network because Bluetooth stopped working and I lost all my songs. But they warned me that would happen. No big deal.

Reaction score
Took less time for me but I have less stuff on the phone.. did not work properly first go however so had to do a full reset and set up as new phone.. That took longer but then everything worked.

Reaction score
Fuggedaboudit if you have 3G

I did the software update for my 3G yesterday and it slowed my phone down to a crawl and reduced battery life. Now I will have to wait to get the new 4.0 on June 29th. :(

The iOS4 update has just done live for the iPhone and iPod Touch series devices :) However, depending on the product version you may only see a limited feature-set improvement.

I'm updating my phone now, but it's taking some time as the Apple servers are quite busy ;).

You can read a little more about the update here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

There are things such as multitasking, homepage folders, better mail app, improved bluetooth and home screen backgrounds. Many of the improvements are straight forward software tweaks that Android users will be chuckling at, but it looks worth the update.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hum... Nice...
I've done the update, and it's nice, but, I think I really am going to consider jailbreaking it...

Reaction score
Just ordered new IPhone 4.0 online

If you go directly to Apple.com, you can order it now if you already an AT&T customer. My phone will be delivered by July 15th. Beats standing in line for hours. LOL:D
I did the software update for my 3G yesterday and it slowed my phone down to a crawl and reduced battery life. Now I will have to wait to get the new 4.0 on June 29th. :(

Ask a Question