Internet is fine. I start browsing, and it goes down. Solution?

Reaction score
Windows 7, 64 bit. Connected through router. Internet works fine. There are downloads and updates going on, no problem. The moment I start browsing, everything goes down and there's no browsing or downloading or any activity. It remains this way for a few minutes then comes back up. It keeps happening over and over again.

I'd really appreciate any help I could get for this strange problem.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Generally first place to start is call your ISP to test the line, unless they provided the router they will start by blaming that so you may have to remove the router and plug directly into the modem.

Reaction score
Thanks. What are these hallmarks of? That is, when the internet goes down as soon as someone starts browsing? Malware? Hardware? etc.? What's the most likely culprit in your opinion?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I had DSL and one of the issues they said could cause the problem was a build up of errors on the line. "They claimed" my modem was resetting itself once the build up was too great. Opening your browser would add extra packets but I really don't know.

My situation seemed to be aggrevated by summer heat and goes away once it cools down outside so I believe it's electrical equipment overheating between my house and the ISP but they gave up trying. They put in a new modem, I ran brand new dedicated line inside the house, they ran new wiring from the street to my house, they switched the wires I was using from the pole to the ISP, they switched the port I was connected to on the ISP servers but nothing helped and they finally said "we did everything we can thing of, sorry". So I switched to cable.

Have you tried a different browser?

Ask a Question